Pages

Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Bacon: part of a well-balanced day!



5:08 p.m. Today's project was to create a strange treat I had been promising family and friends for over a week: chocolate-covered bacon!



Reaction to this candy has ranged from utter revulsion--"You'll kill yourself eating that!"--to "Yum, when are you making it? I want some!"--to "Let's make it at Piecemakers!" (That's the quilting /crafting/home arts group that meets at church each Tuesday night in the kitchen). I saw it as a cool challenge to try to make!



As for the death scare, if you had a half-slice of bacon at breakfast and then later on had half of a plain Hershey bar after lunch, you would have eaten the same thing. The little bites aren't meant to be more than a treat. And I can't be blamed for inventing it, either. Steve and I discovered this amazing frozen novelty at the LA County Fair two weeks ago. When I posted pictures of it on Facebook, the reaction was huge. One friend, Theresa, had seen the Neelys on Food Network making it. That catapults chocolate-covered bacon to all-American cuisine status, doesn't it?



The bacon had been fried crispy and drained Saturday, and was ready to go. But my friend Linda, a candymaking pro who had been scheduled to come over and help me Sunday, got sick, poor thing. I was determined to get the job done for today, so after church last night, Steve and I went to the store. I couldn't find candy melts at Ralphs, because they aren't due there until holiday baking season starts later this month. So I bought 2 bags of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips. There aren't that many options at 9 p.m.! The virtuous woman in Proverbs 31:14 "brings her food from afar," and so would I in the daytime, but a store close to home works for me at night!

Late this morning, I laid plastic wrap on the counter, got the chilled container with parchment paper pieces ready, and had the bacon coming to room tempaerature. The chips melted fine, but needed a tablespoon or so of oil to smooth out for dipping. Using tongs and a spoon I got 30 pieces covered. I stirred the rest of the melted chocolate into a bowl of strawberry pieces for later use on ice cream.

The whole process was finished, stored in the freezer and cleaned up in about 30 minutes Steve and I will each have ONE after dinner! I Corinthians 9:25 tells us to be "temperate in all things." And that includes dessert, I think!

Overall, Steve and I had a good day at home. I managed to notify all of my Christian and conservative websites of my new email address while Steve took advantage of the break in the rain to get the lawns mowed. And I corrected the format of the endnotes for my book,Walk in the Word Series, Galatians. This was kind of a dreaded task, because I really enjoy capturing a vision from the Lord and writing; but editing details, well, they're not very exciting. And I hadn't contended with such matters since I wrote my thesis in 2002!

2 Peter 1:6 gives a picture of a well-balanced, growing Christian, one who wants to excel for the Lord:

...giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love.

And that's how we roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment