Pages

Friday, February 19, 2010

Fix it day


2:24 p.m. Today's project was to admit one air conditioning/heating technician to our garage to get rid of the obnoxious rattling sound that has kept us from turning on the heat in the house for a week. Steve and I got up extra early because the tech was due at 7:30 this morning.


After a "mental health day" at Disneyland yesterday, it was time to get back to business, the business of keeping home essentials working. One other issue I'd avoided for three days was the virus that seemed to be taking over our main desktop computer. After my bank had to block my Visa card due to bogus-looking charges from a strange "security tool" company, I had to take action.
I arranged for a young man from our church, Henry, to come over after 12 p.m., the same time that the technician was due to return with a new blower for the A/C unit. That gave me time to get home from a successful and lucrative facial with the owner of a nail salon.
Steve and I had a pleasant surprise when the technician asked us where we go to church. Turns out he got saved at Harvest in 1991, and helps out at the crusades every summer with the t-shirt sales that help fund the events all over the country. So, even though nobody relishes spending money for repairs, God "sweetened" the episode by sending us a believer!! And while he was here, I asked him to program the thermostat, something Steve used to do, and which I had attempted, pretty poorly.
I know that my hassles and inconveniences that are due to Steve's inability to reason or remember tasks that were once simple for him to do or figure out can be overwhelming, when you add paying all of the bills, getting tax documentation ready--I promise, this weekend--and managing all kinds of disability paperwork, doctors and medication, and keeping up with our finances and Steven's college issues. And of course it is my joy and privilege to be available for my children's multifaceted needs. Fun or frustrating, it all takes time!
When I am tenpted to feel disgruntled, I remember that I Corinthians 10:13 assures me (NLT), "The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, He will show you the way out so you can endure."
Praying for others in much more dire situations, such as my brother-in-law whose Alzheimers is now affecting his ability to know how to get up out of a chair and walk, is a way I can bless the Lord and show my gratitude for the life He has given Steve and me--today, not tomorrow or next year ! For every problem I face, God has any number of blessings--like fellowship with two Christian technicians today, and praise reports of ministry anointing from our son just arrived safely from Fresno.
We can't outgive God--in any respect, way, manner, or means!! HE IS FAITHFUL!

No comments:

Post a Comment