Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

A friend loves at all times

3:12 p.m. Today's project was to ask for prayer and counsel from a friend who is kind, loving, and a survivor of many serious trials herself. Thus, she is highly experienced both as one who has cried out for prayer from others, and been there in others' times of need.

I received some shocking --not life-threatening, don't worry!--news last night, and was having trouble processing what was related to me. There was no hesitation about whom to call, because she can cut through reactionary emotions while empathizing with the pain I am in, to get to the the exact prayer that is needed. After all, we are to pray with focus, to "pray with understanding," as I Corinthians 14:15 puts it. Additionally, her discretion is absolute, assuring that confidences will remain just that!

The funny thing is that I only met this gal about three years ago at a retreat through a mutual friend. Her enthusiasm for the Lord, for her Christian sisters, and for ministry were immediately evident. Her upbeat but realistic outlook, and an energy that defies her physical limitations makes her very inspiring. Only absolute trust in the Lord Jesus gives us the ability to stand firm in our faith during trials, and radiate joy to those whom God places in our path. My friend exemplifies this verse: "The joy of the Lord is your strength." (Nehemiah 8:10)

In less than five minutes, I went from being an encourager, counselor, and prayer support for others to one crying out for counsel and prayer myself! Actually, I'm glad God designed us to fulfill any role He calls us to, at a moment's notice! Because, whether I appreciate it at the time or not, the call is always at the behest of His Holy Spirit, and works for the best and highest good of His Body, the church.

Neither you nor I relish feeling distraught or that our efforts are not valued; but if I suddenly require support from another believer to steady myself, it becomes another path to growth and maturity in Christ for both of us. Ephesians 4:13 in the New Living Translation states the Lord's goal for us, teaching and building one another up, "...until we all come to such unity in our faith and knowledge of God's Son that we will be mature in the Lord, measuring up to the full and complete standard of Christ."

Achieving a goal so high and divine will not be by ease or comfort! But its attainment need not be solitary, either.






No comments:

Post a Comment