Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2010

From mixed up to fixed up

10:44 a.m. Today's project was to get up before dawn (5 a.m.), go to first service at 7:45, and then head on down to Long Beach to help Kriss and Marisela get situated in their new apartment, their first home!

Just as the service ended, I got a text from Kriss asking us to wait until 12:00 to leave, because they want to have lunch with us, and we'd just be unpacking; the heavy lifting was done yesterday, by all the brothers Marisela is very grateful for!
At first, I expressed my crabby feelings about getting up two hours early for no reason, especially after a night when I couldn't sleep--I was worried about safety on the road, but trusting the Lord to see us down there safely.
I realize that I need to trust God in the happenings we consider "mixups," because He knows when we need to be in Long Beach, and certainly knows which church service we should attend on a given Sunday! Yesterday, I posted Psalm 52:8-9, which I need to consider making my own!
"I am like a green olive tree in the house of God; I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever. I will praise You forever, because You have done it; and in the presence of Your saints I will wait on Your Name, for it is good."
Let's look at the picture painted here. A green tree is young, flexible, able to adjust to breezes, temperature, and grow stronger for it. Olive oil has long been the anointing oil of God's people. We read of the anointing for cleansing and service performed by priests and prophets in the Old Testament (Psalm 133:2 describes Aaron's anointing as the first High Priest of Israel; also check I Samuel 16:13, David's anointing as future king of Israel). In the New Testament, James 5:13-15 describes anointing the sick with oil as elders lay hand on the individual. We still anoint with olive oil and pray for one another as believers.
I want to be fresh and flexible in my relationship with the Lord! I want to be filled with the Holy Spirit, anointed for service at any time, for any reason. And I won't be fit for God's use at all unless I trust Him--period.
Waiting is a huge part of trusting my Heavenly Father who knows what is best for me!
And since the Lord always adds a "sweetener" with every act of obedience, I wouldn't have gotten to see the magnificent view pictured above if we'd driven by 2 hours later!!

No comments:

Post a Comment