Pages

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lunch with a heart


5:09 p.m. Today's project was to welcome former associate pastor at Harvest Christian Fellowship and senior pastor of Calvary Chapel High Desert, founder of Ark International, and director of the orphanage he founded in Romania: Paul Havsgaard.


That's a long introduction for a man whose heart is just focused on loving kids in the Name of Jesus. He began visiting Bucharest and ministering to street kids a few times a year, and then he and wife Kathy moved there, where they founded an orphanage, rescuing street kids from sewers and street corners, doorways and park benches. Most of the kids earn their subsistence living by begging, reasoning, "if I don't bring home enough money each night to my parents, I get beaten; so I'll just go out on my own!" He has also had opportunity to minister to those considered the lowest of society, the gypsies. In the 12 years the home has been established, he has built such a solid reputation that police officers bring children to him, and social workers are part of his staff! Paul serves a mighty God!!
I would ask that we pray for this servant of the Lord, because he badly tore his knee in a fall, and is here in the States for treatment and therapy. And I am sure all of his grandkids are delighted to have him here in Riverside as well.
As Steve and I heard story after story of God's faithful provision, whether food, supplies or a signature on mandatory paperwork, it is clear that this is a man who chooses prayerful obedience and listens to the voice of the Holy Spirit. One time, the foundation was able to give a place to sleep for the night to a traveler, a total stranger passing through. When Paul mentioned that they were praying for help with a bureaucratic roadblock, the lady said, "That's the division where I work!!" Their paperwork went through in 20 minutes, glory to God! It reminded me of Hebrews 13:2, "Do not forget to entertain strangers, for by so doing, some have unwittingly entertained angels." I look forward to receiving some pictures from one of the albums of the kids, some of whom are grown now, doing active missions work on the streets of their own city!
After so many instances of being used by the Lord, Paul simply told us, "One day I am going to have to write a book about all I have learned from the street kids." That will be a memoir worth reading, with a message of salvation for all who trust in Christ!
II Chronicles 16:9 states, "The eyes of the LORD run to and fro throughout the whole earth, to show Himself strong on behalf of those whose heart is loyal to Him."
God has indeed shown Himself strong in Paul Havsgaard's behalf!
Please look up Ark International online and prayerfully consider making a donation!!

2 comments:

  1. Dana, I was wondering if you could find the exact link for this website. There are a lot of Ark International's. What a great ministry! I'm excited to look into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Charise, Paul told me that they actually don't have a website. Their address is Ark
    International, P.O. Box 2342, Riverside 92516

    Love you,
    Dana

    ReplyDelete