Pages

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

A peaceful night's sleep


4:17 p.m. Today's project was to take Steve to an appointment with his neurologist Dr. Rai. We were referred by our family practitioner Dr. Guzman after he decided that Steve's nighttime gasping for air, choking, and very loud noisemaking are worthy of a sleep study, which Dr. Rai performs in his practice. We all decided that the sinus blockage which has caused snoring and loud breathing will need to be dealt with surgically later on. Because the potential for sleep apnea is more pressing, it was determined to prioritize the sleep study. The thought of Steve using a noisy C-Pap machine is pretty awful, so I pray that other answers and solutions can be found.
I'm glad to see that Dr. Rai and I are getting along better these days!! Last summer, he had me in tears, by flatly refusing to fill out paperwork for Social Security on Steve's condition, and then stomped out when I continued to demand some answers and guidance for Steve's deterioration. He and Dr. Guzman must have had a collegial "chat" because he was still supercilious the last time we met to review medication, but he was more willing to listen and let me finish a sentence. For my part, I was also quite chipper, because Steve qualified for Social Security without the neurologist's help. My God doesn't need anyone's permission or cooperation to do a work that benefits one of His children!! Ecclesiastes 5:2 is a good word for all of us: "Do not be rash with your mouth, and let not your heart utter anything hastily before God. For God is in heaven and you on earth; therefore let your words be few." ( That means you, Dana! )
It's not the quantity of words that can get us in trouble, although the more we rattle on, the higher the probability of saying something offensive or breaking a confidence grows. I would say that the quality of our words and the spirit in which they are said, are what the Holy Spirit longs to help us control! That's why we pray, and should definitely make early morning communication with our Father top priority. Psalm 63:1 says, "O God, Thou art my God, early will I seek Thee." I love the old King James version for that verse!
But Hebrews 4:16 urges us to take advantage of the Lord's willing ear and strong, rescuing, willing arm for our own good. "Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need."
Don't know about you, but I need help every minute to speak, act and live in a godly manner. I'm making up for my confrontation with Dr. Rai by being more respectful, and a better witness for Christ. We all have people in our families, workplaces, church circles, and neighborhoods that could use a lot sweeter "you" or "me" in their lives. Let's humble ourselves and follow the leading of the Spirit.
The doctor appointment today should eventually lead to a better night's sleep, but speaking with a Spirit-controlled tongue will allow me the wonderful night's sleep that only a clear conscience affords!


No comments:

Post a Comment