Pages

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Olive plants around the table







7:14 p.m. 7:14p.m. Today's project was to make all of the preparation for a Super Bowl party that might never materialize! Yes, that's crazy, but old habits die hard!! When you have a family of seven in 1988, it's hard to believe you're down to only three by 2009. But that's what happened to me when Steven, our youngest, moved to attend Fresno Pacific University last August.
I had my chili cooking overnight, too many kinds of chips to count, the makings of nachos, spinach dip in a shepherd bread, nut and Cheezit mix, Raisinets, imported French berry lemonade and limeade, hot wings with sauce, all of which were in the house two weeks ago. We weren't expecting guests that we knew of, and didn't even have an invitation to take food elsewhere. Last Sunday afternoon when our Home Fellowship leader Mark asked for a vote as to whether we should meet at our usual 5:30, the whole group voted "no," with plans already made in most cases. Not us!
As usual, I had too much to do, including making new arrangements for a ministry. I waited much too late to call around and invite friends. (Nor did anyone invite us, sad to say!) I threw around a few hints on FB, where some people were having their families over, some never watch football at all, and some were invited elsewhere; and I asked a few last-ditch questions of a sweet friend or two at our Mimi's breakfast yeasterday morning. No dice--no invites!! Waaah!
Heidi (our 25 year old daughter who still lives at home) and her boyfriend Pavel had meetings for high school retreat all afternoon, and a party to attend, so boo-hoo for Steve and me! Looked like we would have the privilege of a private party today, not at all a bad thing...we figured that all of the extra food would be just the thing for our trip to Havasu in the RV on Thursday--Saturday, so it would be a win-win. Subdued, but a win nevertheless. The assurance of God's goodness in all situations is what Psalm 101:1-2 reminds me of: "I will sing of mercy and justice; to You, LORD, I will sing praises. I will behave wisely in a perfect way. Oh, when will you come to me? I will walk within my house with a perfect heart."
We had the news we had hoped for by the time we headed out of the church driveway! Kriss texted us that his plans had fallen through, and he was thinking about coming out to Riverside. YES! The kids all know our home is open, so of course he and Marisela were welcome. Now fullof joy and excitement, Steve and I picked up some Coke, extra tortilla chips and nuts, and tore around the house sprucing up and starting the Velveeta+salsa nacho sauce in the mini crockpot. Steve ate a small bowl of Honey Nut Shredded Wheat, I had a salad to tide me over, and Steve walked the dogs.
We had a fun afternoon, ate tons, and caught up on all of our lives. I'm not sure we watched much of the game, but we enjoyed planning the move the couple is making to their first apartment in downtown Long Beach on the 28th. We'll be joining them, along with her family whom they live with now.
One odd incident was the appearance of Mormon missionaries at the door! On Super Bowl Sunday? I guess they figured most people would be home. Kriss and his dad went to the door, and when they didn't come back right away, I went over in curiosity. They introduced themselves to me in a break in the conversation, and I assertively but politely said, "We are born again Christians in our household, and though we have many fine Mormon neighbors, we have disagreement with your doctrine. But thanks for coming by." They pleasantly left. [If it had just been me at home, I would have gotten my Bible and led a full discussion!]
But the happy moment for me came as we were headed back to the kitchen, and Kriss said, "I just told them that we are evangelicals here, and happy with that." WOW!! Made my day!
Heidi and Pavel came in by the 2nd half of the game, adding cheer and fun to our gathering. I was very proud of Heidi today, because Pastor Sammy told me that she is putting together a mother-daughter event for 5th-8th grade girls!! He also mentioned how the Lord is using both her and Pavel. My heart is overjoyed to see my children "walk in truth." (3 John 1:4)
Psalm 128:1, 3-4 says, : "Blessed is every one who fears the LORD, who walks in His ways. ...Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine in the very heart of your house, your children like olive plants all around your table. Behold, thus shall the man be blessed who fears the LORD."
Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment