Pages

Monday, February 1, 2010

Who is my neighbor?



4:34 Today's project was to go back to my old school, Ina Arbuckle, to pick up my order of 9 boxes of Girl Scout cookies from Kate, a perennial troop leader and formidable cookie seller. (She also teaches 4th grade)!


As I drove through the country club neighborhood, into the business district on Chicago Avenue and University, through the old downtown bus station and vintage homes, I thought, "this drive isn't the 15 minutes I remember--it's more like 25! And I don't miss this one bit!!" When I pulled up to the school, I greeted former colleagues, and was repeatedly asked, "How's retirement?" My answer is always the same: "Great!" When the Lord puts your life onto a different footing, no matter what the reason, it is great, for, "He does all things well." (Mark 7:37)

I walked to the back of the school to take the check to Kate and see my buddies, the upper grade teachers, receiving lots of delighted smiles and hugs. Sweet Raeona, the fifth grade teacher who was next door for my three years at Ina, asked after Steve, and was pleased to hear how well he's doing. On my way back down the hall, I ran into a group of 6th graders heading into the Choices after school program, yelling ,"Mrs. Kruckenberg! Mrs. Kruckenberg!" One even hugged me. They have leaned up and stretched up in size since last spring when I taught them in my remedial Language! class. As every veteran teacher can relate when greeted so sweetly by former students, I laughingly mused, "Wish they had been so happy to see me every morning before class!!" I guess the Lord has designed our brains to dwell on the positives, like class reward parties, and block out the more unpleasant incidents like recess detentions! "A merry heart does good like a medicine," one of my favorite verses, Proverbs 17:22, says. I left my old school today with a merry heart, not at all regretful at leavng the profession, but glad to have had an influence on both colleagues and students for the Lord, and for their friendship and caring as well.
Upon arrival at home, Steve, Heidi and I tore into the boxes of Girl Scout cookies: nine boxes, six varieties: thin mint, lemon ice, peanut butter sandwich, peanut butter patties, thanks-a -lot chocolate iced shortbreads and caramel delites. Oddly, I had forgotten to order my favorite, shortbreads, which I've loved since I was a girl and could afford to buy my own stash with my allowance. (I think a box went for 50 cents back in the 60's!) When I give my neighbor a facial later in the week, I'll buy a box from her daughter. Cannot let shortbread season pass me by!
What's your favorite? I love these all-American treats, like I love traditions and childhood memories generally. It's a blessing to put aside, for a sweet, crunchy moment, our confrontations and controversies to mingle with and support our neighbors and the children of the community.
"Who is my neighbor?" the lawyer asked Jesus in Luke 10:29. As the parable of the Good Samaritan pointedly teaches, my neighbor is anyone I come into contact with. And if I can join a neighbor for a snack and support a cause at the same time, I just might get an opening to share the Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment