Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

What to do on a sunny day?


3:37 p.m. Today's project was to take our Jeep in for its scheduled quarterly oil change, tune-up and tire rotation. With only two and one half hours to get both of us out of the door, I felt compelled to stay on task, as it were, no extra "side activities" or mental rabbit trails that pretty much characterize my morning devotions! "You will keep him [or her] in perfect peace whose mind is stayed on You," Isaiah 26:3 promises. So stay, mind, stay!
I am currently reading in Jeremiah 31, with full and extensive notes in the New Living Translation. At this point in the narrative, the nation of Israel has been taken away to Babylon in captivity, and God is revealing through Jeremiah the full future restoration of the people to Himself, and their land, by "the LORD of Heaven's Armies," (v.35) whom we know to be Jesus Christ.
The Lord's plan of redemption and forgiveness is described in verse 33: "For this is the new covenant I will make with the people of Israel on that day," says the LORD. I will put My instructions deep within them, and I will write them on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people." The people had suffered grievously for their sins, because, though He loves with an everlasting love, and draws us with His kindness, God is a God of justice and righteousness. He will neither let sin go or gloss it over! (Or He wouldn't be God!!)
Normally after my scripture reading, I post a portion of the Psalms on Facebook and then I journal, followed by physical out-loud prayer; but today, grieving for the condition of our nation, I went on to write in my journal first. I prayed for truth to reign supreme, for the enemy of our souls to be bound and no longer have power over any of us!
When I went to my Facebook home page, I posted Psalm 51:16-17: "You do not desire sacrifice or else I would give it; You do not delight in burnt offering. The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit, a broken and a contrite heart--these, O God, You will not despise." How well these words fit in with Jeremiah's words to Israel! Outward rituals did them no good, and they even failed to follow through on those! Only a true heart commitment to God will do--true repentance. As always, I marvel at how verses that just come up in order in my reading, and then on the daily portion I post--are definitely not random to the Holy Spirit!!
As I was writing the scripture reference, up popped on the chat screen a message from an old friend asking if I had time to chat about some things she was hurting over and confused by. Since this was obviously led by the Holy Spirit, of course I took the time, not even thinking of my schedule. We had a long and blessed conversation and both of us moms of young adults were encouraged by the promises in God's Word and the need for faithfulness in prayer.
Steve and I were actually 15 minutes late to Moss Motors, and found out that our name wasn't even on the appointment book! But they were ready for us. Their van dropped us off at a nearby shopping center, where we walked around in the welcome sun and got Steve's hair cut. It was a joy to later drive off in a reliable, well cared-for vehicle. I love the efficient, productive use of time!! [I'm a tad task-oriented!!]
Back at home, however, I still wanted to be outside, so we gardened-- watering, repairing irrigation rows, and picking salad greens to bless the host couple at our marriage Bible study that starts tonight.
As we appreciate the bright, warm day today, remember Jeremiah 31:35: "It is the LORD who provides the sun to light the day, and the moon and stars to light the night..."

No comments:

Post a Comment