Pages

Monday, February 7, 2011

Changes, challenges, Part II


4:03 p.m. Today's project was to make sure Steve has a new caregiver/companion lined up for tomorrow. The gentleman we've had the last several weeks is a believer, very helpful and has helped guide Steve through a number of much-needed household projects and tasks. Even our dogs like him!


I talked with the nurse manager Lisa at the Bright Star Agency, who is awaiting news from the last caregiver as to whether he'll go back to working for the County part-time, since they've called back some laid-off workers. Seems they found out that they needed the people after all. The bureaucracy has become less responsive to their constituents' needs in an effort to cut costs. Since that's what taxpayers are demanding, looks like they can't win! We will see what happens.

Nothing had been mentioned to Steve until we knew with more certainty about a change in caregivers. No sense making him anxious if the one we've had is coming back anyway. Lisa told me that she has a young man for us, a former military police officer, with two years at the agency, very experienced. He is a CNA (Certified Nurse Assistant), in training to become an emergency room RN. So I did tell Steve this morning, and he seemed a little troubled, but didn't complain. He'll be surprised tomorrow, but he always welcomes a chance to visit with any and all people who come his way. Like me, he suddenly left the work force, and all of the daily collegial interactions it provides. Unlike me, he does spend most of his time at home, while I have family business, Mary Kay business appointments and ministry details to attend to, and even if they can be handled online or by phone, it's still a lot of person-to-person interaction. At this point in his Alzheimer's, Steve can't punch in a phone number or create an email, so there is a real risk of becoming isolated.

So Steve's time with the caregiver needs to be upbeat, busy, and constructive, with lots of encouragement and good humor. I certainly have enjoyed peace of mind two mornings a week!

When inevitable changes come into our lives, adults usually "roll with the punches" because we inform ourselves of the rationale, the other person's position, and all of the relevant circumstances. Christians also prayerfully submit the happenings in our lives to the Lord for clarity--or closure. That's because our faithful God does NOT change, even as each day brings new circumstances our way, a fact that gives us the confidence to move forward. Malachi 3:6 says, KJV:

I am the LORD; I change not.

There's no way of knowing how Steve will react to the new gentleman, whether he'll forget by tomorrow morning where his other helper went, or just enjoy a new friend. The dogs will certainly bark at first, but they'll come around pretty quickly. As for me, I'll want someone who can take direction concerning the day's activities without me having to repeat myself, and who can size up the situation quickly. I was assured by the nurse/manager that the new guy has plenty of experience with Alzheimer's, so things should work out. I'll put together my instruction sheet like I do each time, and allow some extra time before I leave for Bible study to show the caregiver where the lunch food is kept, and tools for yards and in the garage.

Let's hope our new caregiver knows the Lord, number one, and likes walking dogs!






No comments:

Post a Comment