Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

When in Rome






3:20 p.m. Today's project is to cope with a very sudden, out-of-left field issue that came to my attention in a very dramatic way!

A new friend brought up an issue that was a complete surprise, on a cultural issue rather than a spiritual one. I am grateful that as believers we see eye-to-eye, because universal assumptions and practices for Christian living are laid out for us in the Bible.

II Timothy 3:16 says,

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, thoroughly equipped for every good work.

And I have found that to be utterly true in my personal, family, and ministry life experiences. The Word of God has it all! Being in the Word every morning, afternoon, and throughout the day, I know where my answers are to be found.

When it came to the clash of cultures, the Apostle Paul said in I Corinthians 9:19-22,

For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more; and to the Jew I became as a Jew, that I might win Jews; to those who are under the law, as under the law, that I might win those who are under the law; to those who are without law, as without law (not being without law toward God, but under law toward Christ), that I might win those who are without law; to the weak I became as weak, that I might win the weak. I became all things to all men, that I might by all means save some.

I do get it, that to be a witness for Christ to the unsaved, I should take the attitude, "when in Rome, do as the Romans do!" Representing Christ is what matters.

But between Christians? Then what? What if the Christian friend with strongly held cultural beliefs lives here in OUR Christian culture? What should be done then? Accede in love, the Lord would say, but who does the acceding? The host or the guest? It's a tricky question, and I would appreciate any input from you believers!

I know the Lord will resolve it because He has called us to peace, to put one another first. And Jesus is able to give the ideal solution. May we all be loving and gracious as the Lord's verdict comes down!!

No comments:

Post a Comment