Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

Two police matters


3:47 p.m. Today's project was to take Steve down to Vons in the Riverside Plaza for a little President's Day treat--one of their deli sandwiches for him, and some chicken salad for me. We came on the right day, because the $4.99 sandwiches, on whole grain bread, loaded with meat, cheese and fixin's, were on sale for $2.99. That made lunch taste even better!

When we pulled into the parking lot, we saw three police cruisers and some employees out in front of the store. "Probably a shoplifter," I told Steve. I did see a person handcuffed there once, right in the store. We carefully went on about our business, giving them a wide berth, but were curious, even more so when we saw an officer go back past the restrooms to the employee break room.

Lunch and shopping over, we putt our groceries into the back of the Jeep and looked over at the store. The officers were leading away a handcuffed teenage boy. I noticed that a backpack, the modus operandi of teen shoplifters, was lying on the hood of one of the cars.

I just prayed, "Lord, let that boy learn a huge lesson that will stick with him for the rest of his life, from this petty crime." No other thoughts came to mind, but the sight stayed with me. In yesterday's post, I quoted Jesus' commendation (Matthew 25:37-40) of those who visit the sick, but since it was not germane to my topic of rest home ministry, I abbreviated the quote before it mentions "those in prison." Our prayers and mercy are due to them as well, to encourage them to trust Christ as their Savior and come to new life, trusting Him for all their needs. No idea who this young man is, but I will be praying for him whenever the Holy Spirit brings him to mind!

The second awareness of the police came to me personally this afternoon. After addressing a few more "Save the Date" envelopes to Pavel's mother's side of the family, I felt dizzy and lay down upstairs while Steve was out walking the dogs and Heidi and her fiancee went out. In case something serious happened, I put on my Freedom Alert calling pendant and took a small nap. With it still on, I came downstairs to perk up with coffee and a Shaklee multivitamin, and to prepare for my Mary Kay "Flawless Faces" new foundations party. Still felt tired, but maybe I took too much Zicam for the cold I'm fighting. I went about setting mirrors and wash cloths in the dining room.

Suddenly, there's a radio-static sound and the police are saying to me, "911 emergency! What is your emergency?!" When I realized what was happening, I shut it off and said, "My alarm pendant went off, no emergency, I must have turned the wrong way." The operator said "OK ma'am," and rung off. How embarassing, and how mortifying would it have been if the police had shown up! (And how much would a false alarm cost me?) That alarm pendant is really sensitive! I was just putting items out on the table, doing some bending and reaching, but come on. It's not like I lay down on it! Must figure out how to wear it in peace...

Thank you, Lord, for those who are swift to both send help and execute justice for the public safety! As Romans 13: 3:5 says of our civil authorities and peace officers,


For he is God's minister to you for good. But if you do evil, be afraid: for he does not bear the sword in vain; for for he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil. Therefore you must be subject, not only because of wrath, but for conscience' sake.


Let us make sure never to think lightly of our police and civil leadership--they are God's ministers for our good!


No comments:

Post a Comment