Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

"Come and let us return to the LORD"


4:35 p.m. Today's project was to have today be the opposite of yesterday. That meant staying home, other than two necessary errands, cleaning house and doing lots of laundry. The garden is still too wet to work in, so my plan was the best option.


At 8:30, Steve's friend Howard picked him up to work on a grass-seeding project on his one-acre property, so I had most of the day to myself. I wrapped up my devotions, cleaned up breakfast and got ready for the day. (Since all of my decently-fitting clothes were in the wash, I was a pretty sorry sight)!

Thankful that I didn't run into anyone I knew at the credit union or CVS. I checked my playlist on the DVR when I got back for any newly recorded movies or shows on the Gospel Music Channel (GMC). I found "Doc," an old show (new to me) starring Billy Ray Cyrus as a doctor transplanted from Montana to New York City. In his opening song, there's a Bible verse, so I thought it worth giving a try. Turned out to be very family-friendly, concerned with ethics and morals in the hospital setting.

Billy Ray Cyrus has made public comments recently regarding the toll that fame has taken on his family, especially his daughter Miley, of "Hannah Montana" fame. Much has been made of this situation, and comments have been more or less charitable, because we all know what it's like to have a less than perfect family. The fleshly impulse of envy responsible for the less charitable comments God will deal with. As 2 Corinthians 13:5 tells all believers to "examine yourselves, whether you be in the faith; prove your own selves," I would add that I have plenty enough to do in accounting for my own walk with the Lord every day, rather than to spend precious time sitting in judgment of people I don't know, or even the ones I do know!

I thought of that celebrity family, as well as Christians who have let their walk with Jesus go slack or even come to a halt for any number of reasons. Low-income, average, and unknown people can be just as competitively ambitious as actors and singers can be! And who hasn't sought an outstanding future for their children, and worked hard to lead them in a prosperous direction? Steve and I certainly have made a lot of sacrifices for our children's benefit.

But we cannot let Christ be put back to second place in our family's lives. He must be our reason for living. and when He is, all of the matters which are dear to our hearts will fall into place, even better than we dreamt of!

Hosea 6:1 gives hope to anyone whose life just isn't working any more, who once knew who they were and where they were heading, who have sought material goods and social standing, but still feel uneasy deep inside.
Come, and let us return to the LORD;
For He has torn, but He will heal us;
He has stricken, but He will bind us up.
That's a promise from God Himself. Take Him up on His offer and pray for forgiveness and restoration today!

No comments:

Post a Comment