Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

When, not whenever!

1:35 p.m. Today's project was to greet a new caregiver, show him what Steve's needs are and where important things--like lunch food and the lawnmower--are kept, so I could get to Bible study by 9:30.

The young man got stuck in bad traffic driving in from Moreno Valley, so I didn't even leave for the session until 10:00! Momentarily, I toyed with not going at all, so late, but that ploy of our enemy the "roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour" (I Peter 5:8), fell flat, because it's just not my way to miss Bible study! I slipped in around the side and sat in the front row where I can pay the best attention, contribute to the discussion as the Lord leads, and be ready to step up to the front in case any ladies need prayer.

Beth Moore's lesson concerned God's unfailing love, and how it is evinced in the lives of those Christians who truly believe and live in the light of that love. Because I had arrived with a heavy heart over a faith matter with one of my children, my tears of joy and renewed realization that I must trust the situation to my Father just plain overflowed. (But my waterproof mascara and foundation held firm!)

From the discussion time and all the way through the video, the Lord impressed upon me that I must speak with a particular pastor right after Bible study. I needed to clue him in on the matter, and ask him to pray, especially, and speak or do as he sees fit, as a pastor and a dear friend. I assented, but stalling, and coming up with excuses, I said to the Lord in my mind, "What if he says, 'Let's pray right now?' I'll disintegrate in a pool of tears and all the pent-up fear and heartache will flood out!" The Lord reiterated what I had to do, and I realized that it was a chance I'd just have to take. Period.

At the end of our video, questions were asked about our love for God, such as, Do I think about God regularly? Am I eager to spend time with Him? Does my life demonstrate love for God? Do I enjoy God? I was comfortable in answering on a scale of often, sometimes or rarely, "often."

But the kicker was question 5: Do I ultimately find relief or satisfaction in obedience? As I answered "often," quite truthfully, I knew that this opportunity to obey God was no different than in times past: I would severely regret not speaking to the pastor as the Holy Spirit had directed. This area of immediate and exact obedience is one I am growing in this year. When God tells me to call someone, I do it. When he told me to sit right down after I came in the house just now after errands to write this post/devotional, I only took a minute to put things away, and I am writing this in His timing. There truly is no satisfaction in our Christian walk better than knowing we have shown our love to Jesus by obeying Him!

The Bible study and prayer time ended, and I needed to answer some questions about the Heart to Home classes we are offering, and one lady asked me to wait a minute, but she went all the way down to the front of the church to talk. The Lord said, go on! Since I was compelled to go seek that pastor, I went up to the office to ask for him. And do you know that within 30 seconds, he came right around the corner before the receptionist could even call for him!!

I walked outside with him and poured out the situation, we shared for a few moments, and he said he'd take care of it. As I went on my way, I knew, that, even if the pastor's intervention rubs my child a bit the wrong way, that's the chance I had to take--and because the Lord set it up, I can trust that He will heal, mend, strengthen, encourage and bless all concerned.

That's His way!

Any time God speaks to you, obey WHEN He says to, not WHENEVER you feel ready! Because trust me, the voice of 31 years of experience, that time will never come. And neither will your blessing!

No comments:

Post a Comment