Pages

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Mom's on her way!



3:31 p.m. Today's project was to go to our daughter's house in Redlands to cook a dinner with her. I'd asked her to select a good chicken recipe she'd never tried, so she could learn a new dish, and maybe some new techniques.



This morning, I battled fog and trepidation--fueled by threats of CERTAIN DEATH by the devil-- to drive to Redlands to help man a Mary Kay booth at the huge semi-annual "Moolala" babies' and children's clothing boutique. Traveling through the curvy San Timiteo Canyon was out of the question, so freeway it was. Happily the freeways were moving smoothly. As I rounded the overpass to the 10 freeway east, I saw that the sky in Redlands was balmy and blue!



It so illustrates our Christian walk, doesn't it? All manner of fog and dark clouds of fear, doom and doubt loom overhead and immediately in front of us, discouraging us from going where we are committed to going, the next step that God is calling us to. We truly need faith and trust in God to move forward in our walk, as well as in our witness. My life verse, Philippians 1:6, says,



He who has begun a good work in you will complete it until the day of Jesus Christ.



Working a 3 hour shift at a boutique to garner leads for future facial appointments may not be the biggest assignment I've ever had, but arriving early (which I did despite Steve's caregiver being a few minutes late) and staying a half hour more than required was a good witness, amen? And how silly and unreliable would I have looked in calling the sales director saying, "It's too foggy to drive," when skies were clear at my destination?



On our way to my daughter's now. Since Heidi is not feeling well, I need to find out if she had time to gather ingredients; if not, Steve and I will stop and get a few things. We just bought chicken this afternoon at Winco anyway.



Being her mother's daughter, Heidi had all of her ingredients ready. The two of us, roles reversed, since I was the assistant this time, assembled the pounded chicken breasts. I topped them with butter chips, and into the oven they went. My daughter got the rice cooker going, and before we knew it , we were sitting down to Jalapeno/Jack cheese/cilantro-stuffed chicken breasts, with warm green salsa topping. Steve had been watching the DVD "Bruce Almighty" in the tiny den, so I called him and we all gathered for dinner. How I treasure the talks Heidi and I have on scripture, Bible teaching, and improving our service to others! We also spent time talking about relationships with friends, how to raise a new puppy, exorbitantly spicy food, and coping with life in these times we live in.



I can confidently state that things are going swimmingly at the Ilies.' Heidi's bad cold is also on the mend. I pledged to loan her and Pavel our comprehensive AKC dog manual before they make a decision to get a new puppy, just to see what they are committing to. Their adult dog Sammy is just a doll of a dog. How will a young German shepherd fit in?



It is so gratifying to see scripture prove itself to be true, particularly Proverbs 22:6:



Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

No comments:

Post a Comment