Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Dead to the world, alive in Chirst

10:28 p.m. Today's project was to prepare a devotional for the Heart to Home "Origami Ornament" class tonight at Calvary Moreno Valley. The Lord has placed on my heart that before each class, we need to have a word from scripture, because this is a ministry of the church. While the classes are open to all women, the focus must remain on the Lord. Saints and seekers welcome!

Normally, I will scroll through recent blogposts for appropriate messages, because they are just the right length for a 2 minute devotional. At times, I've written my post with that evening's class in mind. After a few forays into the Internet this morning, I realized that the At&T network was dead; thus, no visiting  the blog. Time to do it the old fashioned way--type it up fresh on Microsoft Word and print it! (Actually, that's not even old fashioned! For my verse-by-verse Bible studies each summer, I make my notes on a legal pad, and then teach from longhand writing in a wireless notebook).

We had finished devotions and breakfast, and since I'd scheduled Steve's caregiver to stay most of the day so I could get more done, both for ministry and business, they went out to walk the dog. I wrote the title, "Where is your hope placed?" quoting Psalm 39:7:

And now, LORD, what do I wait for? My hope is in You.

I went on to draw a contrast between the Alzheimer's Association and their hope for a cure for the incurable and belief in science as the answer; vs. Operation Christmas Child, where the entire origin, focus and purpose is lead children and families to Jesus Christ, to give hope in the One who never fails, who is the ultimate Healer, the only Answer for sin, sickness and sorrow in this world.

Human beings are certainly gifted to study, apply intellect and inventiveness to improve living conditions. And we all are commanded to help the poor in any way we can with the means God grants us. But we must remember, that our hope is in Christ, the Author and Finisher of our faith!

He may well reward  the researchers' efforts with a cure for Alzheimer's for the next generation. Our family, however, is not waiting until that point to love and obey Christ, and serve Him by ministering to others. We are doing what God designed us to do: living!

Answer this question, if you will:

Are you truly alive in Christ, or just marking off days on this earth?

No comments:

Post a Comment