Pages

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Over the tracks and back again

9:16 p.m. Today's project was to figure out how to travel through San Timiteo Canyon to a different end of Redlands than I usually frequent, from Calvary Chapel Moreno Valley. The reason for the map was critical and very specific. Later I would need to drive from my Mary Kay meeting in Redlands to our church in half an hour or less, for a Ladies' Christmas Dinner table hostess meeting.

I might have skipped the MK meeting--not!--but I had two guests coming, total strangers from a lead-gathering event in Redlands a couple of days before Halloween-- a University of Redlands student and a friend she works with. Another good reason to attend is that I have been in need of encouragement lately, and I was pretty sure that our sales director would have a recognition for me, which is always fun. Last week's $557 was a really good total for me, although I've done up to $700 before. But no one is going to squawk at over $275 in her pocket!

During the day, I had been mentally asking the Lord for a wise idea for this journey, rather than panicking over  traveling a dark, winding canyon road at night! He was faithful, as James 1:5 says:

If any of you lacks wisdom, let him [or her] ask of God, who gives to all liberally and without reproach, and it will be given to him.

The odd thing was that I didn't pray specifically, "Lord, please show me how to drive this direction through the Canyon," but had been pray-pondering the question all day. And the Holy Spirit, completely unlimited in His operations, showed me what to do. That is because the Holy Spirit communicates freely with our spirit, if we are believers. I Corinthians 2:10b-12 declares,

For the Spirit searches all things, yes, the deep things of God. For what man knows the things of a man except the spirit which is in him? Even so, no one knows the things of God except the Spirit of God. Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, that we might know the things that have been freely given to us by God.

My confidence in finding my way was in God, the Creator of places, ways and directions to begin with! The idea came to me to leave while it was still light, and follow the Google map route I'd worked up on my computer. The twist was, that I had to "backwards map" the route as I went, because I had created directions for returning from Redlands. No idea why I didn't add reverse directions, but the Lord knows I love a challenge to keep my mind active!

On the way, I was glancing at the left and right arrows on my paper and reversing them, except that at one point, the end of Redlands Blvd, I used my judgment instead of obeying the arrow. Beaumont, to the east, was not my destination! As I curved down through San Timiteo Canyon, I bypassed a train, the County landfill, several nice properties and horse ranches. Sigh...that would be the life for me, if I only knew how to ride and owned a large property!! We will know all things when we get to heaven, (I Corinthians 13:12) but will there be horses for pleasure riding? We read in Revelation 19:11-14 that Jesus Christ leads the armies of heaven on a white horse, and all ride white horses...but as usual, and as my Bible study women will vouch for, I digress!

By the time I reached Barton Road and the Old Highway 99 of my childhood, I was near my destination. It was pitch black outside at barely 5 o'clock. But I made it early to my destination, with time to pray for our meeting, for my guests to arrive, and for my family, too!!  90 minutes later, I slipped out of the meeting at 6:30 to go back through the canyon to church. I took a moment to remove my contacts, put on my glasses, prayed, and drove back with confidence.

Our Women's Ministry Christmas dinner plans are exciting, the perfect opportunity to show the love of Christ to both saved and unsaved friends in a gorgeous, candlelit atmosphere of praise. We had lovely fellowship at the meeting, too--second time in one evening for me!

How I thank the Lord for His excellent guidance through the Holy Spirit in my life tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment