Pages

Monday, January 30, 2012

Knowing the way

8:41 p.m. Today's project was to plan to get together with both old and new friends--some for business, some for fun, and some for time with other couples that Steve and I can enjoy together. I also had time to text-discuss our son's educational direction toward his goal of becoming a chiropractor. Earlier this week, I encouraged his older brother to take the first steps toward getting a secondary level teaching credential.

Psalm 119:9 asks,

How shall a young man cleanse his way?
By taking heed according to Your word.

Sometimes I wonder, as a not-young, not-male person, if I shouldn't first start with the question, "how shall I know what my way is?!" If we had no need for guidance with the our daily walk, life choices and aspirations, there would not be so many petitions and prayers for guidance such as David asked of God after lamenting the deaths of King Saul and his son Jonathan in II Samuel 2:1 (NLT):

After this, David asked the LORD, "Should I move back to one of the towns of Judah?"
"Yes," the LORD replied.
Then David asked, "Which town should I go to?"
"To Hebron," the LORD answered.

In Hebron, David was crowned king over the people of Judah. Many battles to the kingship of Israel loomed, but he had taken a huge step toward that destiny!

God guides in a very personal manner, but it seems, never in the same way too often. He clearly told me what my ministry was over 30 years ago; whom to marry; where to attend church. Other times He has allowed ideas to gradually develop, such as the details for a spoken or written Bible study; or has spoken guidance to me through others whose ministry, wisdom, experience and walk are proven and respected and whose counsel I seek. Or another person's life event has opened up an entire new field of vision, such as the way that hearing about my friend Pam's publishing experience led me to pray about getting one of  my Bible studies published. And the Lord used the dynamic recorded Christian testimony of our national sales director Kathy Helou to show me that I was to begin my Mary Kay business on my daughter Heather's team in 2007.

Key to hearing from the Lord is remaining by His side every day! We can hold on to Jesus by reading and delving deeply into His word; praying continually throughout the day (and through the night if sleep doesn't come); speaking of Him whenever we encounter another person, especially unbelievers. In other words,

Walk in wisdom toward those who are outside, redeeming the time. Let your speech always be with grace, seasoned with salt, that you may know how you ought to answer each one. (Colossians 4:6)

With your heart and mind absorbed by Jesus, not only will your path be revealed to you--your path will be both clear and clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment