Pages

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A little different way of looking at things

4:13 p.m. Today's project was to attend the new session of Bible study at our church. It was wonderful to get back together with all of my sisters, especially my discussion group members, after a long holiday hiatus! We are starting a series on the book of James, and the year is off to a very exciting start by studying the faith journey of the oldest half-brother of Jesus.

After praying with a sister at the close of our study, I took advantage of the hour I had of further caregiver time to use the $25 gift certificate my daughter Heather had given me for Christmas. I thought I'd get a quick pedicure at the former "Happiness" Nail Salon. I wrote "former," because the salon was dark, locked up, and posted no change of location! I called the phone number on the certificate and on the door, but it had been disconnected. So the money Heather spent not even a month ago is gone, sadly. It's not like young couples have money to throw away these day. Since my feet were in wretched shape, and I'd looked forward to the relaxation, I actually gave myself a nice pedicure at home later with my Mary Kay spa set, but I feel sad that my daughter lost her $25.

It was certainly no surprise to the Lord that the salon owners would be gone. Colossians 2:3 says the Father and Son are the ones "in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge." Times are difficult, and starting a business in a depression like this one is a pretty bold and optimistic endeavor. I've been a customer of two former nail salons that folded, but praise the Lord that one of the owners accepted Christ and a Vietnamese Bible before she and her co-owner went out of my life!

When we give from our hearts, the Lord knows how to make good many times over, just as He does when we tithe to His work. The more faithfully we give (even a small amount like the size of the tithes I give on my profits on a light week!) the greater blessings God has in store for us. As so many pastors and Bible teachers have told us, "You can't out-give God!"

After the Apostle Paul commended the Corinthians for their generosity to less prosperous saints, he wrote in 2 Corinthians 9:6-8,

But this I say: He who sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and he who sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver.

I can't wait to see what the Lord has in store for my daughter the cheerful giver!

No comments:

Post a Comment