Pages

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Where do they get days like this?

5:03 p.m. Today's project was to attend my caregivers' class on emergency procedures at the Riverside County Office of Aging. I was lucky to get there only 30 minutes late the way the early part of my day went! This morning had some real glitches, to say the least:

  • At one of our banks, the computers were down (and still are as of 20 minutes ago), necessitating a paper receipt for my deposit.  At the next bank where I needed to deposit an insurance claim payment for Steve's daycare so I could send Care Connexxus a money order, all of the funds aren't available until tomorrow .
  • Ralphs in Canyon Crest had no stamps, so I couldn't mail the M.O. anyway; the nearby UPSstore charges extra for stamps. No time for the Post Office, either!
  • An agency helper told me what turned out to be a rumor about Brightstar's plan of care for Steve, but investigating the matter caused unnecessary disturbance to my heart and mind, wanting always to have the best arrangements possible for Steve. (Which at this point is care at home). 
After much prayer and confession for my crabbiness, I finally settled down to taking notes on my journals for my book about our experiences with Steve's Alzheimer's. After a number of notations, I looked up at a wall clock, and it was 11:20 already! The class was slated for 11-12:30. After signing the helper out, I did manage to find a seat in the crowded presentation from the Red Cross, eat the half sandwich that was provided, and stay just long enough to leave at 12:15 with a vehicle emergency kit in hand. I did benefit from the 45 minutes I was there, and received some excellent handouts. At least now I have some numbers to call to get guidance concerning Steve's difficulties getting in and out of our Jeep.

Back at home, I had a Mary Kay facial appointment with a lovely UCR student that ended in plenty of time for me to welcome Steve home on his Special Trans bus at 2 p.m. The young lady not only is interested in becoming a consultant, but is planning to join us for STAR night dessert party, and will be bringing her dorm apartment friends with her a week from Monday for a skincare class. Another customer called me, and let me know she is putting together a party for me a week from Friday!

Steve was dropped off, we relaxed for a while, I put together the enchiladas that will be served shortly, and it was time to go pick up Jung from UCR. With Jung settled up in her room and dinner in a slow oven, I took Steve to get his glasses frame adjusted, about time (!), then gassed up the Jeep and circled on home.

Barring a devastating tragedy, no day is "all stress and no bless" for a child of God. My devotions this morning were inspiring, and I know that God did already respond, or will respond to every prayer I wrote for my business and my personal life, too. Psalm 6:9 confirms my assurance in my God:

The LORD has heard my supplication;
The LORD will receive my prayer.

He answered prayers I didn't even ask Him for, such as providing a parking spot right in front of the entrance to the Office of Aging when I had been running so late; or, as Steve and I entered the medical clinic to get his glasses adjusted, there was my friend Rita with her children. So God gave me the fun of being hugged by her little son David, who always assures me that he's four! I was able to give away some good clothing to the Vietnam Veterans' charity today, also.

Best of all, our son Kriss emailed us real-time ultrasound pictures of Clark Alexander Kruckenberg, due at the end of March. Kriss is already the proud papa, as his amazed description shows: "He's already smiling and sucking his thumb!" Like father, like son. Such a blessing, because Kriss has wanted to be a dad from his youngest years. When he was in elementary school, he declared, "I'm going to be a funny dad!" Psalm 199:90a says,

"Your faithfulness endures to all generations..." 

There's no denying the difficulties inherent in caring for a spouse. The paperwork, medical appointments, prescriptions, arranging for care, insurance claims and phone calls pertaining thereto are daunting. His personal care, and taking over both his former chores and the mutual chores we shared make for an exhausting day. No Pollyanna here! 

There's also no denying that God has me in this place, as wife of my husband of 30 years, doing whatever He calls me to do, and being whatever He calls me to be--for His glory; for a testimony to the unsaved and for the edification of His church; for an example to other married believers who will one day be caring for their own spouse. 

Deterioration and dying are part of this present world system, and believers in deep trials are reminded in I Peter 1:6-7 (NLT),

So be truly glad. There is wonderful joy ahead, even though you have to endure many trials for a little while. These trials will show that your faith is genuine. It is being tested as fire tests and purifies gold--though your faith is far more precious than mere gold. So when your faith remains strong through many trials, it will bring you much praise and glory and honor on the day when Jesus Christ is revealed to the whole world.

Lord, through it all, I trust in You!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for that verse at the end Dana. It so ministered to my heart. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete