Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Sticking points

4:02 p.m. Today's project was to enjoy Steve's company in a variety of settings and groupings of people. Quite a change from the hectic pace of business all day yesterday!

The morning's full house started early--7:00 to be exact. Heidi and Pavel were at the door, meeting up with Heather to get Heidi's bridesmaid hairstyle done for a 9:30 a.m. wedding. I could relate, because Steve and I got married at 10 a.m. so we wouldn't have to spend money feeding guests a full meal, just cake, punch and finger sandwiches. Nowadays, it seems most weddings are in the afternoon and a full dinner is expected by the guests. This couple decided to put the money into a Maui honeymoon--good thinking!!

I hadn't expected Pavel, but his presence, always welcome, made sense, because two cars didn't need to travel over here from Redlands. While Heather got started, Pavel grabbed a cup of coffee and his Bible, and I sat down to continue my devotions, but it was a tad hard to focus with all the jollity in the kitchen. Steve and his caregiver Andrew came downstairs so Steve, all showered, shaved and dressed, could eat a bagel while reading his online devotional.

Back and forth, between loaning Pavel a choke chain and two-handled leash for training shepherd puppy Jazzlyn, visiting with the girls, and posting my scripture, it was quite a fun morning in progress as Heather wound and wound Heidi's voluminous ringlets on the barrel of my curling iron. And our guest Jung came down to make her breakfast and join us at the breakfast table also, getting to meet a couple more of my kids.

When we have our children over for whatever reason or amount of time, Steve and I are always blessed. I am reminded of what God says about large families in Psalm 128:3-4:

Your wife shall be like a fruitful vine
In the very heart of your house,
Your children like olive plants
All around your table.
Behold, thus shall the man be blessed
Who fears the LORD.

When we finally had the house to ourselves, Steve did some cleaning up in the yard and raked some leaves, while I made arrangements for our oldest son bringing our grandsons over, and for dropping off product and a "Mary Kay is the Perfect Opportunity" CD to a new customer. Later, we went out on our errands.

The sticking points I had in mind when titling this post have to do with difficulties Steve repeatedly has in living daily life, chief of which is connecting his seat belt for the many outings we take when he has to get out of the car. It's hard for me to reach over him to connect it, and when we need to be at church, for instance, every minute counts, even if we are leaving early. So I get out of the car and hook it for him, or sometimes he has it across his chest but can't fathom where the big red slot is to place the belt into. So I try to limit his times in and out of the jeep if possible, If I just have to walk up to an ATM, for instance, he is more than happy to avoid the whole process and sit in the car. Any tips for this "sticking point" are welcome!

Speaking of my ATM card, I lost it this afternoon somewhere between Wells Fargo and the Verizon store where I went to consult about my new Smartphone's keypad not functioning. Beyond irritating, what a hassle.  Thankfully when I needed to pay for a prescription of Steve's I had the cash!

Another sticking point I thoroughly considered today is the fact that Steve just starts moving even when I am stopped to put my purse in a shopping cart. He just starts walking in any random direction, and I have to call him back as quietly as I can while making sure he hears me. I pray it's not the "agitation" that many late-stage Alzheimer's victims get into. It's a reminder that no matter how closely you supervise a spouse with dementia, it's really never enough. I need the Lord to help me keep Steve peaceful, safe and productive, whether at home doing useful tasks, or out and about as a good companion.

Psalm 119:147 is the cry of those of us dependent upon our God:

I rise before the dawning of the morning,
And cry for help;
I hope in Your word.

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I am going to blog about "The Knack" from "The Best Friends Approach to Alzheimer's Care" book next week. All in all the LORD is teaching us patience, isn't He, Dana!

    Sorry about the lost ATM card and the AAA event yesterday. I got upset a month ago when I lost he clicker to my car, but it turned up in the bottom of my purse.

    Hugs and prayers,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete