Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Is it or isn't it?


12:00 a.m. Today's project was to add fluids to my Jeep's radiator. I've been doing this for over a year, after being instructed by our mechanic. As I've shared before, with Steve in late stage dementia, there are a number of new tasks I've learned. And formerly shared tasks are solos now..

I set out at about 8:45 this morning to check the radiator's fluids. so I propped up the Jeep's hood with a sturdy pole made of PVC pipe as I always do, and, as I bent to look at the level of fluid, the heavy steel hood came crashing down on my head! If I'd leaned further into the car's inside, the hood would have landed on my neck, and I might not be writing this now. The Apostle Paul wrote in II Corinthians 5:8,

We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and present with the Lord.

But God spared me for the time being. My head hurt like crazy and the shock of what happened had tears starting, but I steadied myself mentally, prayerfully and physically, reminding myself that our plumber friend was coming over to fix our water meter, so I could get help. I promised my son k
Kriss that I'd press my alert button if I felt nauseous or dizzy.

So far, I completed my daily tasks, met Steve at Parkview hospital for a bump suffered at daycare; took him out for a small meal at Taco Bell, and when we arrived at home, he had the caregiver waiting. It wasn't until evening that I decided to go to Urgent Care, which sent me on to the Emergency Room at Riverside Community Hospital. The doctors stated that I had no concussion symptoms, and sent me home.

My daughter and her husband sat with me a while, and now I am diligently looking for these symptoms, with the question, "Is it a concussion?" here is the extensive list:

  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Confusion
  • Drowsiness
  • Dizziness, unsteadiness
  • Convulsions
  • Unconsciousness
  • Clear or bloody discharge from nose or ears
  • Severe, persistent headaches that cannot be relieved by Tylenol
I suppose I can look out for all of the symptoms except unconsciousness. Maybe I'll set my alarm to wake me up every two hours, since there's no one else here to do the check ups. But the key thing for me to do is simply TRUST GOD. Psalm 2:12b says of Jesus,

Blessed are all those who put their trust in Him.


No comments:

Post a Comment