Pages

Sunday, August 12, 2012

To work or not to work?

3:36 p.m. Today's project was for Steve and me to enjoy a great day together, beginning with spending the morning at our church for worship and the word of God preached. I had heard from a friend and customer this morning that her brother-in-law was having open heart surgery today, and she wouldn't be at church to meet up later in the parking lot to pick up a moisturizer for a co-worker. She and I  decided to meet later in my neighborhood. I felt a bit odd for working on Sunday, since that's not usually a work day for me. But Steve enjoys driving around after church, so traveling to any location would be nice for him.

We got my dad's cell phone reprogrammed at Verizon on the way home. I actually picked up a lead while I was there. The customer service rep asked what kind of business I had that I needed unlimited talk time. I told her Mary Kay, she asked, "Is that Pink Cadillac really real?" and the rest will be explained at her party next week! That opportunity fell in my lap while I was helping my dad.Was I working my business? Not sure what qualifies as "work."

I know that as a homemaker, at one time for seven people, now for two, no one would eat if I didn't at least organize the meals from the food I cooked on Saturday night to be reheated. And the lengthy list of dogs we've had would have suffered if someone--now me almost exclusively--hadn't filled their food and water bowls 7 days a week! The Pharisees got lambasted by Jesus when they disapproved His healing the man with a withered hand on the Sabbath. Matthew 12:11-12:

Then He said to them, "What man is there among you who has one sheep, and if it falls into a pit on the Sabbath, will not lay hold of it and lift it out? Of how much more value then is a man than a sheep? Therefore it is lawful to do good on the Sabbath."

Jesus healed the man. Christians are no longer under the law of Moses, but a day of rest benefits man, and is given to man for that purpose. We enjoy worship at church on Sundays, and traditionally, we do enjoy family, or visiting, or relaxing and recharging for the week ahead.

But a stickier issue was scheduled for late afternoon. Last week, a new Christian named Amanda from a Buddhist family asked and persuaded me, after much discussion, to have her mom and her over for facials today. Her mom sacrifices much for the family, working many long hours, so Sunday afternoon is her only day free. I prayed to be used by the Lord at the appointment, which turned into a party with the addition of her teenage sister. Her 7 year-old brother came also and watched tv with Steve and his caregiver.

The mom was overwhelmed with the luxury of trying the Miracle Set and the Even Complexion mask. She loved the Satin Hands treatment also. They didn't buy anything, but that was all right, because the mom really enjoyed herself after she got over her self-consciousness, and our facials are always free. There's no rush to get a sale. A good seed must have been planted, because the little brother gave me a sweet hug on the way out the front door! And that party provided employment for another believer, still dressed in her "Sunday best" when she came to take care of Steve, from his pre-dinner doze to his 7:30 bedtime.

Right or wrong?

After Steve was put to bed, the caregiver and I were discussing some options for clearing her skin and tomorrow night's meeting in Rancho Cucamonga near her apartment. Then I noticed that I'd missed a text message from a long-time friend, a "Moms' Morning" mom, Sandra, interested in selling Mary Kay! That was a bolt out of the blue, thank you, Lord! The caregiver had left, and the dog was crated when Sandra came in with her 7 year-old daughter, who I've known from her toddlerhood. I answered all of Sandra's questions, we talked for a while, and she happily filled out her New Consultant Agreement. I'll be mailing it to Dallas first thing tomorrow!

In providing an answer to prayer that I could not have engineered (a new team member); and allowing me to uplift an overworked unbeliever with kindness and personal attention,  God had a clear lesson for me.  Stop being legalistic, focus on loving others as He does, and serve as opportunity arises.

Pull that poor sheep out of the pit!

No comments:

Post a Comment