Pages

Thursday, August 9, 2012

Travels with Daddy

9:23 p.m. Wednesday August 8, 2012. Today's project was to spend the day with my dad, a pretty much weekly outing for him from his assisted living apartment. Two weeks ago we went to his bank, and last Sunday, Steve and I went with him to the Rite-Aid one block down from Villa de Anza.

Today would be a bit more challenging, because it was his first visit back to his home in Redlands. The plan was to pick up his car, get it tuned up and serviced, and then return it to his garage. He's had some confusion, so there was a distinct possibility he'd feel like he was "going home," once he got there. My prayer partner Cara prayed for a "guard upon my heart and mind" today for this outing, and I'm so glad that we did! After an extremely hot, long day that included 80 miles of driving, 4 hours at a Buick dealership getting his car tuned up to give to my sister, and then his sitting with me as I tutored my Advanced Placement student from India in Spanish, we learned a thing or two about each other:

Daddy is a pretty good driver for his age: Proverbs 16:31 says,

The silver-haired head is a crown of glory, if it be found in the way of righteousness.

He was able to watch me teaching, which he never has before; and he found out that I still speak, read and write fluent Spanish.

Romans 12:6, 7b:

Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, let us use them...he who teaches, in teaching.

Sitting around in the customer waiting area of the dealership for hours? Irritating. Getting to know my earthly dad better at this stage of his life, and his getting to know me better? Priceless!

No comments:

Post a Comment