Pages

Friday, November 12, 2010

The effectual, fervent prayer of a righteous woman or two


4:42 p.m. Today's project was to work on financial matters. I made a deposit into son Steven's account to help him fill up the gas tank of his rental car in Oklahoma so he can fly back home; drummed up some business at the beauty salon; and then checked on Thanksgiving turkey deals on the way back. I also happily spent time with Steve here at home. The Lord graciously made my time productive and fruitful! There truly is a "time for every purpose under heaven" (Ecclesiastes 3:17).

Preceding all matters in importance, however, is taking time for prayer. Early morning is best for me, because days seem to take on a momentum of their own. This week, I have been journalling prayers for my friends in need of physical healing and alleviation of pain. One was suddenly re-hospitalized, one has had a breast biopsy and nervously awaits results, and the other is afflicted with frequent chronic pain from a number of diseases. Others must move out of foreclosed homes, have husbands out of work for very long periods, seriously troubled family members and trials of every kind. Yet, these sisters of mine have remained faithful to the Lord, and it is my privilege to pray for and serve them in any way I can.

Steve and I are ourselves struggling from the physical, emotional, mental and now the financial ramifications of his Alzheimer's disease, but the Lord is truly making a straight highway and streams in the desert! (Isaiah 40:3; 35:6) The last week has brought me hundreds of dollars of business to keep our household afloat during a very dry season of unexpected disappointments, and more sales are popping up almost daily. Blessed be the Name of the Lord my Provider!!

When I had a chance to pray with my prayer partner this afternoon for a cessation of the overwhelming fear that has gripped her after her biopsy--they took some lymph node as well as breast tissue--I mentioned afterward the surprising breakthroughs in my business. She said, "That's no surpise to me!! I have been praying for your business night and day, because I knew you guys need the money!" I am in tears right now, thinking of this prayer warrior, in dire financial straits herself, and possibly facing the worst of diagnoses, diligently praying for me...God, You are so awesome, no, there are no words to describe Your goodness and the way Your Holy Spirit places a prayer in someone's heart and on their mind!

Having this mighty, loving, gracious, compassionate God to pray to, the One who can actually DO something about our requests, who can turn our health and wealth in the opposite direction in a flash, gives me a confidence that cannot be found in any other source. None. And no matter how difficult the days are down here on this earth, He will make a way, a virtual "highway in the desert" if need be, to bless, encourage and aid His children.

A few minutes ago, I found just what I need to complete the table setting for the table I'm hosting at our church's Ladies' Christmas Dinner at on December 3rd, the dessert plates I had been praying about! A friend has eight of them, the exact number I need! No calling around, no spending money I don't have at a department store, and no using gas I don't have running to garage sales--she lives right down the street. Blessed be the Name of the Lord my Provider!!

Believers, let's not neglect praying for one another! How else can we participate in God's miraculous doings? As James 5:16, (NLT) says,

The earnest prayer of a righteous person has great power and produces wonderful results.

Yes it does!!

1 comment: