Pages

Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Truth in the inward parts


5:08 p.m. Today's project was to share information with extended family members that is difficult, but prayerfully will have an outstandingly positive outcome. I had been praying for the last week for the Lord to show me if, when and how to speak. With permission, I gave the facts, and our approbation of their decision to get help, to my sister, niece and nephews who are coming for Thanksgiving dinner.

I could claim that a quest for 100% openness and transparency with our personal business was the motivation, but I admit that I really did not want to be on the spot at the dinner table as they ask why our family member isn't here. So the topic is now "off the table," literally. People can ask me about the situation in a return text message or email, but the facts are what they are. And I applaud the courage it took to make the right decision.

We are told in Psalm 51:6, in David's great confession of sin,

Behold, You desire truth in the inward parts; and in the hidden part you shall make me to know wisdom.

I'd like to break this verse down. In the first half, God's desire for His people is clear. I always want to be honest with myself and others, and am a truthful person, by the power of the Holy Spirit, not in my own strength. The Lord knows everything that has, does, or ever will concern me, so my part is to admit and acknowledge the truth as He and I have relationship.

In the second part of the verse, I am assured that God can be relied upon to make me know wisdom. Wisdom is defined (by me, I suppose) as knowing what to do with the facts, information and skills you have at your disposal. Would the phrase "uncommon common sense" fit in here?

Wisdom, or discernment, comes into play when another's personal business is concerned. Some truths are not ours to tell! For example, I'm not going to give derogatory information to a child about their parent--it's the parent's role to decide when the child is old enough to receive that information. So wisdom must be used! I believe I handled this matter with truth and wisdom, as the Lord led me. And by permission!
Challenges to our character come at us daily, in every arena of life. We need to pray for as long as necessary until we receive a word from the Lord when considering a sensitive matter, and act accordingly!



No comments:

Post a Comment