Pages

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Look out--and up!

7:39 p.m. Today's project was to have my portrait done for the back cover of Galatians, and some casual pictures of Steve and me for our Christmas card.

The photographer, set to arrive at 8:30, was none other than my daughter, Mrs. Heather Love. She was trained at the Brooks Institue of Photography in Ventura, spent time working for a large portrait studio, and now does wedding and family photos. Her love is photojournalism, such as one would do for a newspaper, but she's realized that while she pursues that dream, family and special occasion portraiture is the "bread and butter" of the profession!

Our pre-sitting arrangements were not without controversy, however! My cover design editor at Tate Publishing, Lauran Levy, told me during a phone conversation that I need a professional portrait, wearing a suit, seated, indoors. "Like my favorite Mary Higgins Clark always poses--minus the jewelry and the elegant background," I laughed. "Exactly," she agreed.

But we had a blow-up when I forwarded the editor's requirements. That sounded "so fake," according to Heather! She emailed me, saying, "You're not stuffy or formal, but a fun lady who gives great advice. That's the way you want to be seen!" Heather set the early morning time period because she wanted great outdoor light. So I offered a compromise: fun outdoor shots for our Christmas card, and formal style for the book. "Just find a way to Photoshop the fat off my face, okay? That's my concern!" When I came downstairs to greet her, I had already laid out a collection of author portraits. Unless they were in an amazing location like Jerusalem, or an outdoor location germaine to their subject, most were posed indoors, in business attire.

"Vanity, thy name is woman," Shakespeare wrote, and I would have to agree. But I don't want to fall into the kind of vanity King Solomon writes about in Ecclesiastes 1:1 when he states, " 'Vanity of vanities,' says the Preacher. 'Vanity of vanities, all is vanity.' " The term "vanity" is from the Hebrew word for "vapor," and can be translated as "meaningless." Today, vanity is about excessive concern with one's looks.

We might as well admit it, we all are vain in regard to something or another in our lives. But we do not want to become so obsessed that we endure multiple surgeries, get our skin peeled off, or strive for the most expensive house, purebred pet or car in the neighborhood. We need to find our worth in Christ, asking Him what He wants for us!

For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. (Jeremiah 29:11) And what a glorious future God has for each believer!

As Heather set up her lights and poles, and we moved couches and background items in the living room, she asked, "Did you ever think you would write a book? Did you think this would turn out to be a book?" I replied that it was kind of a dream of mine for one day, but just hoped that the Bible studies would eventually be used in churches or women's Bible study groups. I asked her, "Did you ever think you'd have the photographer credit on a published book?!" "No way!" she excitedly cried out. "This is amazing." God sure is!!!

As Heather continued to coach me on the placement of my hands, my shoulders and head, she kept saying, "Look out, then look up! Wide-open eyes, big smile!" She repeated the instructions to Steve and me as we posed outside in the front and back yards. As we did our best to comply, I thought about that in our Christian lives. We look out with our eyes open--forward, always seeking opportunities to share Christ, to help others, to please our Heavenly Father. But all the while, we are looking up--from our knees in prayer, from our hearts in hope, seeking guidance and answers from God.

May we continually look out and look up!

No comments:

Post a Comment