Pages

Saturday, November 13, 2010

A long-anticipated outing


5:11 p.m. Today's project was to go grocery shopping after a fairly lengthy wait of almost two weeks. If my dad hadn't come over with his annual contribution to the upcoming Thanksgiving dinner we host for my entire side of the family, I would have had to wait another several days to buy any fresh food. I actually found myself dreaming about going to the grocery store a few nights back! It reminded me of what Isaiah 29:8 says:"...as when a hungry man dreams, and behold, he eats; but he awakes, and his soul is empty..."


The Lord has been providing most graciously, but bills come first, and here is where a well-stocked cupboard comes in handy, along with the skill of cooking from scratch! We've had good meals from staples that all homemakers should have on hand. The home-canned barbecued beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and salsas have been used for delicious dinners, thanks to many hours of labor in the garden and tolerating the boiling steam of the pressure canner. Proverbs 22:3 (NLT) says, " The prudent person foresees danger and takes precautions. The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences." I believe we all need to be prepared for hard times!


This last few months of penury remind me, honestly, of the many times when I was home with the kids that Steve and I had "more month than money" (Ron Wiseman). So I was confident that God would see us through as He always has. Like then, I am not employed outside the home because I am caring for a loved one who is not independent enough to care for himself.


But faith needs hands and feet to get the job done! With earnings from my business available after placing an order for customers, I went into a local grocery store to see what kind of deals were happening for large turkeys with a minimum purchase. With almost twenty people coming, I'll need a 24-pounder at least. So I headed into the frozen turkey section and the butcher told me that a turkey was free with a $25 purchase. It was like a dream come true, as I loaded the biggest one into my cart and got much-needed necessities. Well, that dream turned into a nightmare when I got to the checkout and found out the actual deal: if you bought TWO turkeys, one was free with $25 purchase!! As I was talking, a young mom behind me pulled out of line and headed for the turkeys. But when the manager clearly explained their sale, unlike the butcher who was apparently confused herself, I cancelled the entire order which I could not have afforded. I gently suggested that the butcher might have a need for some accurate information from the manager.
It was funny, the feeling of calm and peace I had, not embarassed at all, thinking, "I need to be a wise steward of the money God has granted me," and left the store empty-handed. I then called around and found that all the stores will have deals starting Sunday.

It just wasn't my day to go shopping! Today worked out well for the few items I needed, such as laundry soap, bananas and evaporated milk; tomorrow I'll head out to snag a big turkey and see "what the deal is!" (and where it is)!And I'll double check my coupon websites, too.


A newly married friend, Melissa McCauley, described in her blog the difficulty and heartache of having to put off her marriage to RJ for more than a year and a half due to his unemployment. She came to see that no matter how badly she wanted to marry the man God had for her, it just was not the right time. So they spent time growing in their faith, ministering together to youth at Harvest's Orangecrest satellite church, and serving with her mom at the Harvest Crusade kitchen for the workers before their September wedding. Basically, they were redeeming the time in service and prayer (Ephesians 5:16). RJ has a job, and they are now married. I almost wrote "finally," but God is never late--He's always on time!


Whether it's a wedding or a shopping trip, God has the perfect time and place for all things!




No comments:

Post a Comment