Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Losses get lifted


7:54 p.m. Today's project was to take two friends I know from church to our Mary Kay Wednesday Morning Makeovers in Redlands. They had both had facials and makeovers, but were going to try the new Botanical sensitive skincare line. Little did I know that the Lord had something more in mind!

Both women had suffered traumatic losses recently: an infant in care at a children's home where one is employed, lost her life despite the best of CPR, paramedic  and hospital efforts; the other friend's father died in her presence after being sent home prematurely from a hospital. Even though the two hadn't met at church, they soon found much to share as we wended our way through Moreno Valley and San Timiteo Canyon.

On the way to a fun and upbeat event, I wasn't entirely sure how things would go on this weather-dreary day. But I soon forgot about that and let the worry go, as Jesus made clear that this was a heaven-ordained opportunity to listen and minister scriptural comfort and encouragement to young women in the midst of the pain of loss. We all had to realize, in trust, that whether it be the elderly man, the young adult or the tiny infant, a person's time on earth is ordained by God. In Psalm 39:4-5, David asks for wisdom in this matter of life and death:

LORD, make me to know my
  end,
And what is the measure of my
  days,
That I may know how frail I am.

Indeed, You have made my days
  as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before
  You;
Certainly every man at his best
  state is but vapor. Selah. 

The conversation then turned on their questions about Steve's condition, which is virtually a living death, as there is no cure or even slowing down of his early-onset familial dementia. Any research he takes part in now will only benefit the two of us in that his exact disease might be identified with certainty. My prayer is that future generations may see a cure in their lifetimes. I shared with my two customers that the counsel I give to my children is to live life to the fullest, serve the Lord and others, achieve your goals, and do not fritter away your life! (And actually, all of them are very industrious). So our conversation was not necessarily upbeat, but it was UPLIFTING!

At the meeting, our director Laurie led the two guests in a game, recognized consultants for our sales last week; asked us Red Jacket team leaders to share about our favorite products; and showed one-minute videos on the new products and our annual national meeting, Seminar, in Dallas this summer. Laughter and excitement filled the room, contagious to all. Women just need some down time, fun with other women, and our meetings provide just that!

Since I had the only guests this time, I did the facials and makeovers while other consultants took training upstairs with Laurie. Two new consultants watched my class. As my guests gained product knowledge and glamour application tips, we chattered, laughed and admired each other's finished looks as the class wrapped up. A number of times, the friends I brought said, in a very heartfelt way, "I needed this. I needed this so bad!!"

Proverbs 17:22 says,  " A merry heart does good like a medicine," and it is so true. While believers do not deny our losses in this life, we can trust God's plan as He holds all lives in His hands, and accede to His loving omniscience and justice, knowing that beyond our darkest days lies the shining light in the face of the Son!





   

No comments:

Post a Comment