Pages

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

They keep on telling me, Part 2

4:15 p.m. Today's project was to take Steve to his Medicare provider, Care More's,  very professional one-stop medical center. They have a very accessible location on Market Street across from Fairmount Park. Care More provides for an extensive annual physical exam, including blood work, which is read and logged into their computer on the spot. Urine samples are analyzed as well.

We walked very painstakingly into the center, with Steve pulling back against my hand (very much a strain on me) as if hesitant or frightened. Yet he was smiling and very cooperative the entire time. So I think he just has so much difficulty placing his feet to walk that he's nervous. The only test they didn't do was taking a urine sample, because he cannot follow directions. And with no history of diabetes or any elevated sugar in his blood, there was no need, since signals of diabetes are what they are looking for.

The nurse practitioner and I had a very lengthy conversation about managing daily activities with Steve at this stage, and he mentioned that I seemed to have a great deal of structure in place and understanding of what was needed for care giving. I informed him of the Riverside County Office of Aging's training course for family caregivers and the resources they make available.  And several times as we conversed, I mentioned how the Lord has guided me in the assortment of situations I have had to face and make decisions about. He kept a neutral face, of course. I have learned to leave the reactions of people to my sharing the Lord up to God Himself, because only the Holy Spirit can open up a person's heart to pursue an interest in knowing the Lord!

II Thessalonians 2:13-14 speaks of God's plan of salvation, as well as believers accepting the truth and choosing Jesus:

But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth, to which He called you by our gospel, for the obtaining of the glory of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The nurse practitioner will arrange for the social worker come by for a visit, to make other care suggestions and let me know the resources she can provide. So we left with hope and good prospects for further assistance.

Next stop, after a drive through lunch at Chil-Fil-A, was Steve's neurologist's office. Once again, Dr. Sovory does not believe that Alzheimer's is what Steve has inherited. He presents so very many symptoms and problems, (which were documented in Part I posted yesterday) that go very far beyond typical Alzheimer's. She gave me a better plan for using the ant-spasm Clonezapam which might reduce his drowsiness, too. But she was very straightforward as to the futility of trying more and other drugs, because this disease, a type of early-onset familial dementia, will not be slowed or stopped. Yet, she did refer me to a top of the line research facility to make an appointment, because we need to identify what Steve's affliction actually is.

You better believe I called them this afternoon!

Between an accurate prognosis, practical help, and a new plan of care over the next six months, both Steve and I will be better off, physically and emotionally! Consistent prayer, scripture reading, journalling, fellowship, writing and teaching as unto the Lord will keep me close to Him, full of the Holy Spirit, and ever ready to obey His voice!

No comments:

Post a Comment