Pages

Monday, April 16, 2012

Praying in style

6:33 p.m. Today's project was to book facials, parties and interviews for my business, and meet with a lovely new friend at her home in the afternoon.

The day got off to a great start, praying with my friend Cara, for both of our schedules, spiritual goals, business goals, and general uplifting of each other as siters in the Lord. By 8:30, my Mary Kay outfit was on, as was my makeup. Steve had left on the bus for daycare at 8:00. I listened to a beautiful message about doing what God has called you to do now, not later, because not one of us knows whether we will even have a "later!"  NOW is what counts. Remember how Jesus blew away--and enraged--the Jewish leaders in John 8:56-58 after calling them liars and sons of the devil?

  "Your father Abraham rejoiced to see My day, and he saw it and was glad."
  Then the Jews said to Him, "You are not yet fifty years old, and have You seen Abraham?"
  Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." 

In truthfully claiming the name of God, Yahweh, I AM,  our Lord crossed all acceptable religious boundaries and societal norms, which He as Creator God has every right to do! Jesus Christ embodies all of eternity past, present and future. But we, on the other hand, were created with very strict limitations. We only have today in which to act.

For the last 32 years, I have prayed continuously, "without ceasing," since I was first  was taught          I Thessalonians 5:17 as a new believer, taking everything I learned literally. I wanted to grow in the Lord so badly, because at 28, I felt like I had to play catch-up to my younger, but more spiritually mature friends. And I wanted to do exactly what the Bible said! I have mostly prayed while seated with hands folded, or uplifted as in church; daily in writing in a prayer notebook or in my journals; sometimes by kneeling, and other times flat on my face on the floor. Don't see that there is any one best way to pray, but I suppose if a believer can't get back up, or get down on the floor on their knees to begin with, God will certainly hear our prayers from the safety of a chair!

Today, I was scheduling and confirming appointments and product deliveries with a new determination to meet my career goal of sales director of "The Uplifted Ones" unit, when I experienced a disappointing rescheduling by an interested customer I had planned to interview concerning a Mary Kay career. That left today open, bad news since I'd already hired care for Steve. Ouch!

Since I needed to get Steve's medication refill, I prepared to go to CVS so I could beat the caregiver back to the house by 1 p.m. The Lord impressed upon me, in the heat of my anxious thoughts, to go over to the family room couch and pray on my knees, fervently, for help and direction for my business. The Holy Spirit's guidance led me to pour out my heart before the Lord, in a strange mix of agitation, calm, nervousness and confidence that my day was now going to be put in order,  HIS order!

Full of renewed energy, I went to the CVS drive-through where lo and behold, there was my favorite pharmacy tech! She was so excited to tell me that she'd gotten her car out of impound, and I replied, "Hallelujah for that!" Before the refill was in my hand, she agreed to have an interview there in front of the store where there are a few chairs and a table, for Thursday, an hour before her shift starts. She insisted that I make sure I have her correct cell number also, and took my card with her appointment time on it. Wow! But God wasn't done yet...

I let the caregiver in, and then went to get gas. While the gas was flowing, a social worker for Steve's Care More medical group called, and we discussed various benefits she can help us with. By the time I arrived at our local Starbucks, for lack of knowing where else to go to make my phone calls, I was looking forward to a constructive working session. There was a nice little surprise awaiting me at the counter. An old Starbucks card I pulled out to pay for my iced mocha had $11.00 on it! That's enough to treat a few customers for interviewing with me. Thank you, Lord, for keeping a bit of encouragement hidden from my sight until I needed it! More blessing: since I hadn't made myself clear, or thinking that all iced drinks are Frappucinos, I said when I saw my drink, "Oh, I wanted it blended. Can you just pour it into a blender so you don't have to waste it?" The barista said,  "Oh no. I'll make you a new one!" So then there were two. She said, "You can take both. We'll just pour it out anyway!" I was embarassed, but wasting food or drink is a no-no.So I called my daughter who works nearby to see if anyone wanted the iced drink--why not? I was wound up enough; two coffee drinks would have been way over the top. She laughingly came down to the patio and took the extra to her colleague.

NOW, time to get to work! I was just getting going when looking up, I saw across the patio a friend and customer whom I met as a total stranger in the same Starbucks, phoning and working her business as a process server. I popped over to say a quick hello and she beckoned me to sit with her. So I hauled my binder, MK prize designer bag and drink over, and we began to visit. Long story short, Kathy was the interview God had planned for me this afternoon! She was very happy with her gift of a free "Pink Lustre" lip gloss and I got a kick out of my free drink and meeting one of my goals for the day!

This day wrapped up--almost--with a nice dinner with Steve and the caregiver, a few heartwarming  "Waltons" episodes. Now that Steve's in bed, I am looking forward to having my new consultant join our legacy phone call at 9 p.m. where we all listen, learn, are inspired by other gals' successes and efforts, and perhaps share my praise report--answered prayer by a faithful God--as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment