Pages

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Good morning, Lord!


3:12 p.m. Today's project was to reflect on Jesus' words in John 11:25:

I am the resurrection and the life; he who believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.

My brother-in-law Larry died this morning at 3:49 a.m., in the presence of his wife Michaele and son David. I opened Michaele's text message when we woke up. I was unsure of how the news would affect Steve, so after he and I talked about Larry's pain and suffering ending, and his entrance into heaven, I went downstairs while he showered and wept a little bit privately.
There is no doubt that Larry, like the lame man whom Peter healed at the temple in Acts 3:8, is "walking, and leaping, and praising God," along with his mom, dad, and all of the Kruckenbergs and Spoors who put their trust in Jesus Christ before they left this life!
Those of us left behind, however, will miss him terribly. Larry was a kind and loving man, the brother I never had, actually. I realized this week, that that was what made him doubly precious to me. Additionally, only God Himself knows how many family members and friends he helped in any way he could. And his love and care for his mom and dad in their failing years was inspirational.
Our son Kriss called to check on how his dad is doing, and Heidi asked me the same while Steve was outside raking leaves. Kind friends on Facebook are concerned as well, and I don't blame them. I admit that, even knowing the Lord, the stark finality of Larry's death might cause me to be momentarily frightened--or deeply depressed--about my own life if I were Steve. But I am blessed to say that Steve is not going down that road. He is quietly staying occupied, grateful that he is doing as well as he is. And he is doing very well!
That's the power of faith in Christ--He gives us what we need when we need it!
Memorial arrangements are well underway, even prepared ahead of time because of Larry's rapidly deteriorating condition. I am sure that eulogies from family and friends will be many.
God will be glorified, as He has already been glorified, in the death of one of His choice saints!

No comments:

Post a Comment