Pages

Sunday, December 5, 2010

Just when you think you've had enough...




8:27 p.m. Today's project was to take our grandsons their Christmas presents after church, but due to a miscommunication, we missed them and came on home. Their mom told me that they'll all be up here before Christmas, so that'll work.

As Steve and I pulled up at the house we couldn't help but be thrilled with the briliant reds, yellow and oranges of our Chinese Elms, so I took a few pictures before the Santa Ana winds get a chance to come in after the rain and blow the leaves right off the trees like last fall! A new Mary Kay customer came by and purchased some product, so I am grateful for that, too.

The other project I had on the docket was to assemble my Christmas village on the hutch in the dining room. We brought down boxes with a large church, a home, and a toy shop, and then the smaller buildings, trees and people. I laid down the fluffy white sparkly batting for a snowy ground and laid out my village. In the background are three pen and ink drawings I bought on the street in London--the Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, and Big Ben viewed from the Thames. (I was there with Calvary Chapel Moreno Valley on missions trips to Wales and England in 2003 and 2004). So I guess it is an English Christmas village! How grateful I am to have served the Lord, witnessing to young and old in a post-Christian civilization!

Isaiah 60:2b-3 speaks of the Gentiles coming to know the Lord God of Israel and be drawn to Zion. "The LORD will arise over you, and His glory shall be seen upon you. The Gentiles shall come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your rising." Much of this prophecy has been fulfilled in Jesus Christ, but many more nations need to be reached!

With the village project completed, I turned my attention to making a rich turkey soup with homegrown green beans and peppers, fresh carrots, onions, and pure drippings from our Thanksgiving turkey (now that we're ready to eat turkey again! We've been eating taco meat this week.) I added 3 cups water to the crockpot, peppercorns, Lawry's seasoned salt, a bay leaf, poultry seasoning and paprika. I'll add potatoes tomorrow.
Before Steve and I left for Home Fellowship, I had some difficult text messages from a friend, and really have been searching my heart, asking the Lord to "see if there be any wicked way in me" (Psalm 139:24a) and still am praying to that effect. But, it was time to leave, albeit late, but Steve and I drove despite the delay caused by the conversation.
It was lightly raining, but we took the 60 freeway east at our usual 60-65 mph. Suddenly, I saw a large mound in front of me in the carpool lane, and thought, "I'm going to run into a giant boulder!" Unbelievably, it was a Christmas tree on its stand! So I swerved moderately and came to a gradual stop in the center divider lane. A young man in a truck pulled to a stop in front of me to see how we were; he then checked the car stopped way behind us. All three of us had hit the tree--those two had hit it head-on; I had clipped the stand. But praise God, we were all right! I called 911, waited awhile, called the Home Fellowship host to have the group pray, texted my kids, and then drove on to the Reyes' house. I have some minor bumper damage, and Steve will need to tape the front passenger light fixture back on, but, aside from a hurting neck and back, we're fine! Thank the Lord for a sturdy Jeep and good tires!

I was encouraged by a text message from our second son Kriss and his wife Marisela, that they love us and were praying for us--it really lifted me up! Of course, the great fellowship, meal and time in God's Word made it a fine evening, a real slice of heaven for now. God obviously has more for Steve and me down here on earth! In II Corinthians 12:3-4 Paul talks about going to Paradise, and returning to life on earth after being dead from a stoning outside of Lystra (Acts 14:19-20).
Once I'm gone into the Presence of God, I think I'll want to stay, won't you?

But the enemy is ever active to thwart our plans to do good. Steve and I are planning to visit his dying brother Larry tomorrow morning, to read him some Bible verses and pray with him. May the Lord give us journey's mercy and good driving weather!

A brighter-than -bright light came through the door to wrap up our day of blessing--our married daughter Heather, to see how we were feeling and to find out about her Uncle Larry. She put up our "Angel Wall" in the kitchen and enjoyed some soup to ease her cold. She had been to Long Beach this morning and taken pictures for Kriss and Marisela's Christmas cards. I really enjoyed her interaction with her sister Heidi, especially on the subject of Heidi's upcoming wedding.

All in all, it was a wonderful day, reminding me of this paraphrase of I Corinthians 10:13: "God won't give you more than you can handle!"

No comments:

Post a Comment