Pages

Saturday, December 4, 2010

Is it very late or very early?


6:41 p.m. Today's project was to go to bed! I was up until 1:30 a.m., unpacking, storing,washing and drying the china, goblets, tableware and napkins that I used for my table at our ladies' Christmas dinner. There were candles and food to put away, storage containers and suitcases to clean and air out as well. I hadn't even gotten home from picking up Steve at Howard's until close to 11 p.m. I thank the Lord that he had a nice evening in their home while Charlotte and I enjoyed our church event.
I spent a few minutes after my bedtime facial routine writing my praise report on our Christmas dinner in the notebook I have kept for that purpose for 23 years. I then read a tiny devotional from my Amish "Simple Life" booklet, and finally hit the sack. Steve was sleeping peacefully with his C-Pap humming along. Finally, good night-or good morning!
Ecclesiastes 5:12 says, "The sleep of a laboring man is sweet, whether he eats little or much," and that was certainly the case for me, as I didn't arise again until 9:25! Except for a dishwasher full of plates, cups and saucers to unload and put away, today was a typical Saturday, with more time for devotions, picking up groceries, RSVPs, and organizing around the house. Since I had the last of my scrambled eggs yesterday, I scrounged up leftover chicken from my Chik -Fil-A spicy chicken sandwich and microwaved it into a delicious breakfast.
While getting the tableware organized, I realized that its storage box was just too broken down to use again. So Steve found some Wel-Bond glue and we managed to glue the lining back in, weighted down with the heavy choke chain we used to get the dogs in order during training. Hours later, the box is standing on end to keep the back cover material glued onto the wood. We'll see what happens. We just might have to pop into an estate sale and see if we can buy a storage box--but not the silverware in it! (Unless it's practically a giveaway). Our prayer is that we won't have to spend ANY money!
I RSVP'd to our niece Tiffany for her little Ruby's 1st birthday party next Saturday. That will be a good opportunity for us to start the conversation about the Kruckenberg side of the family getting together for Christmas Eve. We are happy to drive into Orange--we just want to get together for our traditional dinner, treats and white elephant game! Our grown children feel especially strongly about it--that's their lifelong tradition.
But this year, Steve's brother is in the last stages of life, bedridden with Alzheimer's, unable to eat solid food, and now suffering with a lung infection that could take his life. His wife Michaele, who made the lovely manger scene above, told me today that Larry is being made comfortable, but not getting medication, according to his Do Not Resuscitate order that they decided on years ago. She urged me to get one. But I just asked Steve about it when he came in a while later, and he said that would be the way he wants things as well, if he's out of it and unable to recognize anyone or communicate in any way. I already have his signed Power of Attorney for all medical and financial decisions, and our daughter Heidi is designated to make decisions in case I go first.
It wouldn't be a bad idea to update the will I wrote a few years ago, that I keep upstairs in my bureau. Sometimes I feel like these decisions are early, since Steve is ambulatory, communicating and still fairly capable with guidance and direction; and of course I am healthy and active, already making all the decisions. Or is it too late, in case of an accident?
Rather than feel a sense of condemnation either way, I know that the Lord will lead me in my decisions as He has all along. God's leading has kept Steve as well and alert as he is right now. And more important, I am accountable to my Lord for all of my actions and motivations. My heart is perfectly assured that I will find the guidance I need in the Bible. I love the following passage from Hebrews 4:12-13, KJV:
For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing even to the diving asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.
Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in His sight; but all things are naked and opened unto the eyes of Him with whom we have to do.
Whether I am frying bacon, placing a Mary Kay order, decorating my house, or planning a visit with my beloved dying brother-in-law, I know that God will be with me, because He says in Psalm 32:8,
I will instruct you and guide you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye.
That's a guarantee Steve and I can count on for this life and the one to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment