Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Made to order!



5:01 p.m. Today's project was to welcome Steve's caregiver/companion Frank to our home for a "get-acquainted" visit. Bright Star's nurse manager had described him to us, and let us know that they thought he'd be a perfect fit, but we were surprised to find ourselves more than pleased with their choice.

As a prayed-for, or at least hoped-for quality, I wanted Steve's companion to be a Christian, or at least not a person of conflicting beliefs. Steve agreed in the many discussions we've had up until today, but was, of course, completely surprised to see Frank at the door. Our daughter had seen his car parked in front of our house, and I told her, "He probably got here too early and didn't want to impose by coming to the door until 11:00 exactly." Meanwhile, Steve had been working around the front and back of the house, oblivious to the parked car and driver. When I went out to put a package I was returning into our mailbox, Frank got out of the car, we introduced ourselves, and went into the house to greet Steve.
Within a few minutes, the manager came in, and "somehow," we began talking about Steve tabbing his Bible last year, but being unable to find the needed scriptures during the pastor's sermons even with the tabs this year. But despite the difficulites, I shared with them, he really enjoys church, especially the worship.Then it turned out that Frank is active at Harvest, where we attended for 22+ years, and Lisa is a believer, too! (I knew I liked that agency immediately, and now I know why I never even considered interviewing anyone else!) It was a total God-thing!! There is no other accounting for my just "happening upon" Christian caregivers. Frank is "made to order" for Steve. They even walked the dogs together!
I'll quote my friend Paige Philpott's comment as I shared this wonderful news on Facebook:
God is so faithful to take care of you! I love that our uncharted territory is known thoroughly by Him, inch by inch!

As Steve recounted , with a little stammering, his involvement as a single guy in moving the original pews into Calvary Chapel Riverside, and I mentioned that we had been married there, the four of us enjoyed pure koinonia, a joy in Christ despite the sad need for the agency's services. And I'm thinking now of the way in which God rewards His servants who make every effort to help in His work, like Steve did throughout his teens, twenties, thirties and forties--ushering at church and at the Crusades, answering any call for setting up or tearing down events at Harvest or Calvary Moreno Valley, assisting in an evangelical outreach to Mexico with Horizon International, and his last ministry, helping run the audio-visual equipment on Wednesdays and Sundays at our church.
Our God sees, He knows, He is here. God loves my husband as much now that he is unable to serve, as He loved him when he was using his ingenuity and skills in ministry.

And God remembers! Hebrews 6:10 assures believers,

For God is not unrighteous to forget your work and labor of love, which you have showed toward His name, in that you have ministered to the saints and do minister.

Why am I crying, really crying, not just a misty-eyed sniff? I guess at times the enormity of the journey we are on hits me; but the enormity of my Jesus will surpass anything that life brings our way.

With all of the blessings God provides, and the Holy Spirit's supply of courage and confidence, we will enjoy our family, our friends, and in all its aspects, our future!








No comments:

Post a Comment