Pages

Friday, December 3, 2010

Pine-scented koinonia







4:28 p.m. Today's project was to wrap up my Christmas patterned coffee cups and goblets and head out to church to set up a table for our Ladies' Christmas Dinner. Helping me in this endeavor was my friend DeAnna Collins. Her husband Kenny came too, so he could help Steve prop up our "leaning tower of pine," as we fondly called our 12 ft. tree after it began listing to the right and leaning against the stairway. I spent the night wondering if it was going to fall over on my dining room table!
While DeAnna wrapped goblets, cups and saucers, I caught Kenny up on our problem with the tree, and how Steve and I hadn't been able to coordinate the straightening effort last night. He and Steve kept up their idea exchange, and finally Steve said, "How about propping it against the wall with a block of wood?" Kenny, a retired carpenter, agreed, and they set off to find some wood out in the garage, he sawed in to the right length, and they managed to put the wood in place in a way that is invisible to the casual observer. I'd even have to search for that prop!
Even though Steve's Alzheimer's often leaves him confused, he has the same access to Holy Spirit wisdom as any other believer who reads the Bible and absorbs God's mind and ways. Psalm 119:100 says, "I understand more than the ancients, because I keep Your precepts." I am so proud of the many problem-solving skills he retains. Just give him a little extra time, and he can figure out most mechanical or physical problems, and enjoy his career-long passion for fixing things. Having our friends there to encourage us was a big plus as well, because God's idea of koinonia, fellowship centered on Christ, is the original "mutual benefit society!"
At the dinner, hostesses and helpers, men's serving staff, leaders, worship team, speakers and skit actresses will all contribute to our fellowshipping joy tonight!
May God be glorified as we serve one another in l ove--in JESUS!

No comments:

Post a Comment