Pages

Thursday, December 16, 2010

Widows' Might


3:41 p.m. Today's project was to set and host a table at the annual Widows' Might dinner that our church puts on for widows of all ages at Christmastime. Our Piecemaker quilting and home arts group takes the lead in organizing, decorating and serving these precious women.


After a difficult evening at home, I found it hard to sleep, with my heart palpitating and severe head and neck pains. I did take a migraine pill, genetic Imitrex, at bedtime, which was very late. In the early morning hours, I woke up with a sore throat. Fearing that I've contracted the virus that Heidi has had for a couple of weeks, I called our leader Jill to let her know that I would set up my table, but my fellow Piecemaker buddy DeAnna would be the table server. No sense spreading germs at Christmas!
Don't you love having sweet friends who can step in when you're down, either emotionally or physically, or a bit of both, like I happen to be at the moment? Proverbs 18:24 says, "There is a friend that sticks closer than a brother, " and our friends from Calvary Moreno Valley certainly fit that bill. Of course, my One Friend, who meets me in every circumstance is Jesus Christ Himself!
It's been a rough couple of weeks, with Larry's death and memorial having an effect on Steve, especially, and our whole family. On top of this sad event, are financial issues. Although I believe the Lord has helped me to get our affairs in order for the time being, dealing with bills and creditor arrangements singlehandedly has been a monumental strain. I can mention issues and shortages to Steve, but he just gives me the sympathetic look of a neutral observer. It's not his fault, although sometimes he talks about how he failed his family, but I staunchly reassure him that Alzheimer's certainly isn't his fault!
But when you've been partners with a spouse for nearly 30 years, it's lonely being solely responsible to "make it work." Praise God that He has gifted me with the logic and organizational skills to juggle home, family, my business, ministry and friendships. As I noted in yesterday's post, God will perfect all that concerns me...and 2011 promises to bring more confusion to Steve and a new paradigm when I hire a helper for him a few mornings a week. Thank you, Lord, for Your provision of longterm care insurance!
One item that kept me up last night was figuring out how to leave Steve from 3:30 until after 9:30 p.m., when the widows leave, we clean up all of our dishes and decorations, and I finally arrive home. How was dinner going to work? Could I prepare it ahead? Spend nonexistent money buying him fast food? Heidi would be at home until about 6:30 when she leaves for Young Adults meeting, but she would be busy getting ready to set up for their Christmas dinner.
So my sore throat was actually providential! I just have to be back by 8:00 or so, and Steve and I can have a nice dinner at home.
I chose a simpler Bible theme for my table for this event, using my sister-in-law Michaele's handmade nativity set. A dinner for widows is graced by the artistry of the much-loved newest widow in our family. How beautifully God uses each detail, doesn't he?
And He will perfect all that concerns you, too, believer!


No comments:

Post a Comment