Pages

Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Stepping up to the podium



12:17 p.m. Today's project is to help Steve prepare to say a few words--a very few--at his brother Larry's memorial service tonight at Calvary Chapel Anaheim.



I began by asking him if there is anything he can recall that the two of them, who shared a room in their parents' home until Steve bought his first home in Riverside, did together that was funny or characteristic of their boyhood.


Problem is, Steve cannot spontaneously remember anything at all. I would have been able to put a phrase or two on a 3x5 card, and then remind him as we walk up to the podium together, and maybe his older sisters could chime in, but I need a little something to work with. His hands are too shaky to hold the card himself, and I don't want undue attention drawn to him.


I texted his oldest sister, Sharon, to see if she has some memory-jogging topics for Steve, which will come in handy for a few words apiece. When I mentioned the 4th of July, since I know that fireworks were legal in Orange County, Steve said, "Oh yeah! The cherry bombs that Sharon's husband Chadwick brought--you know, you weren't supposed to have those!" He and his brother were probably in elementary at the time.


More facts:a raccoon named Geraldine was given to the family; the Kruckenbergs went to Sequoia, King's Canyon and Yosemite camping; they also went to visit their father's Kansas relatives. This afternoon, Steve's cousin Stephanie told me about a camping trip she, Larry, Steve and a friend named Judy took up the coast to Portland , Oregon in 1977. Steve drove the yellow truck and camper he had when we married in 1981. The guys had an argument about whether they should turn around and go to Hearst Castle, but Steve wanted to keep going. Larry told him to "Bug off!" and they all dissolved into laughter when Steve made a buzzing noise!


So we'll see how the Lord leads Steve this evening. Good friends have definitely been praying.


James 5:16 says, "The effective, fervent prayer of a righteous man avails much." The Lord heard and answered!


Now that we are back home, I can happily say that the memorial was inspiring, fun, and made me realize how much we love Larry and will miss him. His three sons did an amazing job of speaking and presenting oldest son Chad's video montage of Larry's life.


When it came time for the siblings to take our places at the podium, Steve was hesitant and didn't know what to do, so I told him we were all going up together. Sharon spoke first, then Linda, each reading letters they had written their brother. Steve whispered to me, "I don't know what to say!" I told him I would start for him. I began by mentioning that Steve wanted to remember some childhood topics, like their pet raccoon--no response from Steve--and the Cherry Bombs. Then Steve lit up!

He pointed to Sharon and said, "That was Chadwick (her former husband), not us!" It was a good moment. Then I brought up the trip to Oregon and Steve said, "Yeah, Dad never wanted to stop til he got to the end of a trip, either!" I mentioned that Larry reminded me of the older brother on "It's a Wonderful Life," holding off on personal dreams to care for his parents, and closed with the fact that Larry had been so welcoming to me and my son when Steve and I married. I almost broke down crying...

Larry's widow Michaele's many church friends prepared a lovely snack reception where the fellowship continued. Our kids made sure to introduce themselves to relatives they had never seen, and Heidi took Pavel around to meet their Aunt Linda's family. We all vowed to get together on Christmas Eve, too!

Isaiah 57:1-2 says,

The righteous perishes,
And no man takes it to heart;
Merciful men are taken away,
While no one considers
That the righteous is taken away from evil.

He shall enter into peace;
They shall rest in their beds,
Each one walking in their uprightness.

Larry has been spared having to live another moment in this evil world...our loss is Heaven's gain!

No comments:

Post a Comment