Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Back away, slowly
































4:53 p.m. Today's project was to pick up Heidi's wedding gown and Heather's bridesmaid dress at Mary Me Bridal in Orange. Heidi's fittings were completed, and the bridesmaid dresses had arrived.




This exciting day began early. Heather came at 8 a.m. to share some of my fancy eggs (recipe to follow) and to take me to Michaels and Party Plus to choose decorations for the family bridal shower on Saturday the 28th. When we checked at both stores, the doors were locked--"Open at 9:00!" Boo, because I had a 9:15 hair appointment. So we went across the road to Target, where we saw lots of tangerine, but no fuschia-colored plates or napkins, and we're seeking to use both of Heidi's theme colors. We did decide on a menu: homemade tortilla chips, fajitas and trimmings, and ice cream sandwiches made with freshly baked cookies for dessert.




Meanwhile, Heidi was attending a Children's Ministry meeting at church. After Heather dropped me off at home to get my Jeep, she went over to Michaels and got the supplies we wanted, very cute stuff! I was glad she had time to visit with her dad, too. I returned home and then my dad came over to spend the afternoon with Steve. When Heidi returned, we all had some loud and hilarious political conversation. Much more fun wedding and marriage-oriented conversation took place on the way to Orange.




Amazed at the openness we all shared on topics that could be described as "delicate," I realized that my younger daughter was a three years' married woman, and her sister will be married soon. I took mental care to capture that precious time, believe me! As Heidi and Heather talked about their time frames for starting families, I said, "I want to be an active grandma, watching the babies and taking your school age kids places!" Heather chimed in, reassuring me, "Mom, you'll never lose your energy!" Better stay healthy, hadn't I, since Job 8:9 says,



Our days on earth are a shadow.



And Psalm 90:12 says,


So teach us to number our days, that we may gain a heart of wisdom.




I had been pondering these things when I noticed that Stephanie McTigue had posted this quote from Erich Fromm today on Facebook:


The mother-child relationship is paradoxical and in a sense tragic. It requires the most intense love on the mother's side, yet this very love must help the child to grow away from the mother and become truly independent.


How true these words are! I offered the comment that it's hard when you realize that you as a mom are no longer the most important person in your child's life!


As we wrapped up a successful day and were on the way home, Heidi and Heather made plans to see "Pride and Prejudice" performed at our church by its high school drama department. I too love Jane Austen, having a degree in English Literature, but my girls have read her novels many times for sheer pleasure, and talk very knowledgeably about the various screen versions.


At first, I was about to say, "Think I'll go too," but then I thought the better of it. I said to myself, "Let them develop their relationship as grown women, and bond even closer over a shared favorite author's works."




And back away, Mom, back away slowly.





FANCY EGGS



5-6 fresh eggs

1 tablespoon basil pesto paste

1/2 shredded mozzarella cheese

4 fresh spinach leaves torn up

2/3 cup cooked, crumbled sausage

1 tablespoon butter




Scramble all together with a fork, and pour into a frying pan where you have melted the butter over medium high heat. Scramble soft, no hard edges, so you can wra it on a large plate with Saran Wrap, and cut off portions to microwave later in the week on busy mornings. Serves 4 people or one person for 4 days!





















1 comment:

  1. Wow, I think you last line about backing away slowly was very insightful. It painted an instant picture in my mind. Its all still very sad but normal. :)

    ReplyDelete