Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

God's treasure box



4:00 p.m. Today's project was to attend the second meeting of the County Office of Aging's Alzheimers/dementia caregiver support group at a local senior center. The professional caregiver sent over to stay with Steve came on time with all of the documentation from the company he works for. We introduced ourselves to him, he met Bailey and Jada, and the guys threw a ball or two out in the backyard. And then off I went to class.



The topic for today was "Caregiver Stress." The presenter had vast personal and professional experience, and gave us plenty to think about in assessing our own condition. We all experience stress, and she had excellent suggestions from the Mayo Clinic in handling them. Some recommendations are:



  • Get active. That would include walking, jogging, gardening,etc. anything active.

  • Meditate. I would say pray and praise, from a Christian viewpoint, and meditate on the Word!

  • Laugh. Proverbs 17:22: A merry heart does good like a medicine.

  • Connect. Reach out, make social connections. Like church, ministry, and my business.

  • Assert yourself. In this context, it means to ask for help, delegate, and learn to say no, so your mental and physical health needs don't suffer.

  • Sleep. That's an area of lack for me, will work on being more consistent!

  • Journal. My journal will be the basis for the next book God has put on my heart, and this blog serves the same purpose, to shine God's light on daily life.

  • Get musical. My plan is to get back to my piano practice after the wedding commotion is over. Can't wait! May even dust off my violin!

  • Seek counsel. Proverbs 11:14b (NLT): There is safety in having many advisors. Godly ones, of course!

When the discussion came to ways we can stay more focused on our blessings, I shared about writing my praises down every night before bed. I've been doing this for 24 years, and it really reminds me how much God loves and cares for me. The presenter actually suggested that everyone there give that a try!!


As well as that meeting went, and as well as Steve did at home, God had opened up His treasure chest of blessings for me even more. The senior center's director put me on this afternoon's activity schedule to do facials for the ladies at the center. So I went home, took a nap, and after lunch, Steve and I went to the center for a 2 p.m. facial party for six darling elderly ladies. He helped me set up, and the gals really enjoyed the pampering. This wasn't a selling event, but if they remember me next Tuesday and would like a product, they can ask me. I was so blessed to spend time with them, as we jokingly agreed that we are all still 39!


A further blessing is that I was invited to participate in a spa day on June 23rd at the center!


More good news: my doctor's office called, and except for a slightly elevated cholesterol reading, all of my blood and urine tests came out fine! Less red meat for me, sigh...they also said avoid the carbs, but I do that already for dieting purposes, and lowering weight lowers cholesterol, as does exercise, so I am a happy camper today. I need to start being a happy walking camper, though, must get back in that habit!


And miracle of miracles, I managed to pull my stuck ATM card out of the machine at Wells Fargo with the miniature Mary Kay tweezers in my compact! As the hymn says,


PRAISE GOD FROM WHOM ALL BLESSINGS FLOW!










No comments:

Post a Comment