Pages

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Stop working!



3:32 p.m. Today's project was to try to get some answers from the Lord as to the best use of our time and finances in the next week.


Heidi's wedding is priority #1 for our family right now; no need to list the efforts and expenditures there!


But in addition, I have Bible study starting Thursday, and Alzheimer's caregiver support group on Tuesdays, both of which the Lord has provided beautifully for, in terms of care for Steve, and childcare for the little ones whose moms seek time in the word of God. Home Fellowship is tonight. The women's retreat begins June 3rd in the San Bernardino Mountains, just 6 hours after our grandson's promotion from Castle Middle School in Chula Vista, San Diego County, that morning. And my business is growing and providing income too, as I visit with ladies and help them with their skincare.


I am or will be blessed by each of the events above, and am praying for the Lord to use me in any way He chooses. Here's the big question: will we have gas money for all of the driving required? God has NEVER failed to provide, no question there, but what would His priorities be in a financially tight month? I confess to being nervous, unsure, and on edge, frankly! 2+ 2 is not equalling 4 right now, and my mind is just swirling...


Oswald Chambers refers to manifesting our salvation as "working out what God has worked in." and he asks, continuing on in My Utmost for His Highest, May 15, "Are you working it out with your tongue, and your brain and your nerves?"


He's got me there!


Until I heard the still small voice telling me differently, I was actually considering skipping Home Fellowship this evening because of the distance we travel to get there! I was mentally working on crossing out uplifting and beneficial activities for the same reason. Church today, with the pastor's sermon on marriage, and wonderful fellowship with friends, lifted me up to a much better state which even the drizzling rain couldn't dampen.


After serving Steve his lunch, I headed out to the garden in a rain poncho to survey the nighttime survival of my plants, and another tomato plant was gone! Not bothering to become enraged, I had an immediate response at the sight of another gopher hole: I prepared a nice pile of soil, laid the shovel nearby, and got the last smoke bomb we had. Speedily lit the fuse, sent it flame-first down into the hole, and hand packed and shoveled dirt to keep the smoke from coming out! That method seems to set the critters running elsewhere, at least for a while. Getting the smell of gunpowder off my hands took a few washings, however. On the next clear night, Steve and I are going to bundle up, take the dogs and station ourselves in the garden and see what's up. (And I may just transplant some tomatoes into large pots for the season as another option).


All of these mental and physical feats fit the picture in today's devotional, as Chambers writes,


"God is the Master Engineer, He allows the difficulties to come in order to see if you can vault over them properly--'By my God have I leaped over a wall.' (Psalm 18:29) ...May God not find the whine in us any more, but may He find us full of spiritual pluck and athleticism, ready to face anything He brings. We have to exercise ourselves in order that the Son of God may be manifested in our mortal flesh."


Prayerfully thinking, planning and doing--"spiritual athleticism"--have never been an area of hesitation because that is the character God has given me. Prayerfully waiting on the Lord is much more difficult! Not to promote legalism, but I do want to offer a verse that struck me as I read my scripture portion this morning, and right now, as I picture myself in my purple rain poncho lighting my smoke bomb and shoveling dirt with my hands. Exodus 34:21 (NLT):


You have six days each week for your ordinary work, but on the seventh day you must stop working, even during the seasons of plowing and harvest.


Well, there it is! I think it's time to wait on God's answers to each of the issues that are working my nerves, wracking my brain, robbing my peace, and limiting my joy.







No comments:

Post a Comment