Pages

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A day that says,"Just move on!"







5:24 p.m. Today's project was to take my Jeep in for its quarterly tuneup, albeit two weeks late.

Steve had washed it after his morning working with a friend in his orchard, and I was fresh from some "girl time" with a Christian sister at her home. Off we went in the afternoon heat to Moss Motors in Moreno Valley. Italic

It was no surprise to have the technician point out my balding tires, so I thought we might be able to do his "buy three, get one free" deal next week with the rent money from our house in Wyoming, and still have some left over for a partial payment to our daughter's wedding photographer. For today, I decided to just do the $19.95 tune-up. Since I had a basket of Mary Kay wrapped gifts with me, I ended up gaining a new customer, the service manager who remembered my giving her a hand creme sample a few months ago. She loved the peppermint hand creme I sold her, and signed up for a future facial! Thank you, Lord!

Steve and I took the basket and ourselves to the waiting room, and started reading our books: his, Heaven is for Real, and mine, Leaving, by Karen Kingsbury. An older gentleman walked in with the use of a cane, said hello, and opened up a manila envelope to read. Overjoyed, he announced, "This is from the VA! Because of my diabetes, heart condition and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, the VA is sending me $46,000 in back pay!" Boy, did we join him in praising the Lord! Another gentleman who had been listening gave praises, too, and then the two of them began reminiscing about Vietnam, including a tale of a tiger that almost attacked one of them in a jungle! So the two of us went back to our books. Our afternoon was turning out to be quite uplifting, because Romans 12:15 says, "Rejoice with those who rejoice and weep with those who weep." The Lord knows how beneficial is is for our own spiritual well being for us to genuinely share in another person's joy.


The happiness was not to last for Steve and me, however. The service manager came in to show me the condition of my brakes. The tech working on the Jeep had thought we were getting new tires today, so he had removed the old ones. Because of that, they'd gotten a look at my brakes and rotors. There's not much left of them, but the front ones are the worst. So it looks like the tires go on the back burner, and the brakes are the new urgent matter! And the photographer will be getting a half payment this month, and half in June. That's okay, but still cutting it close.


As for groceries and gas money and bills, it's a good thing the Lord has caused my business to be successful, and made a way for Steve to have supervision while I work. In respect for what God is doing, I'll double my diligence and not let opportunities slip away because of carelessness or sloth! As Proverbs 18:9 says,


He who is slothful in his work is brother to him who is a great waster.


One thing the Lord reminded me of this afternoon is that happiness is often short-lived and dependent upon circumstances; but prayerful resolve and righteous, God-given direction have eternal value, and produce a harvest of peace!
















1 comment:

  1. And in these circumstances we get to see our God's faithfulness! I can't wait to see how He meets those needs!

    ReplyDelete