Pages

Friday, May 6, 2011

A merry heart and a good night's sleep



2:06 p.m. Today's project was to implement Proverbs 17:22, "A merry heart does good like a medicine." I can't do anything to guarantee a solid night's sleep, but I can choose laughter, companionship with fun-loving girlfriends, and extreme silliness over stress and sorrow!


After two days of heavy stress and difficulties at home caused by looming last-minute wedding expenses, I picked up our friend Mele to have a glamour makeover at the Mary Kay meeting at our Training Center in Redlands. Steve's caregiver was there at home with him, so I could relax and focus on enjoying fellowship, as well as rewards and recognition for my hard work of last week. Because I had added three members to my team in April, I won a bronze charm bracelet, as did a number of my sister beauty consultants.


The cheering, encouragement and compliments we give one another are purely uplifting, simply because we are not in competition. We are each independent business women, not working for a company or for an "upline." Our directors train us and encourage us to do the best we can, depending on the goals each of us has set. In turn, I mentor Ann, Chelsey, Debbie S. and Debbie H. and assist them at their events should they ask.


It's a wonderful model of servant leadership that brings others along, while we model hard work and the rewards of prizes and excellent profits. One recognition caught me by surprise, however. While guests and new consultants looked on and joined the fun, we stood up for the amount of sales we'd had the last week. Lo and behold, I was the winner with $659.81!


Well, that made me Queen of Sales, so I was cheered, crowned with a tiara and made to sit in the giant pink chair for the rest of the meeting. So silly, but touching and wonderful in the midst of an emotionally draining week. It just felt good to laugh uncontrollably and sit in a chair so big I couldn't sit up straight. It wasn't mindless frivolity, either--we all work hard for success in our business and enjoy inspiring, and being inspired by, others!


The most touching moment of the evening was a private, small confab with Mele, my consultant Chelsey and my sales director Laurie. As Laurie interviewd Mele as to her thoughts about doing the business, tears came out of our widowed friend's eyes and Laurie ministered wonderfully in Jesus' name. Chelsey and I were also ministered to and encouraged as our Legacy unit's theme scripture, Hebrews 12:12-13 was exemplified:


Therefore strengthen the hands which hang down, and the feeble knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that which is lame may not be dislocated, but rather be healed.


Today I went out with a blessed heart and mind, confidence built up by my morning time with the Lord and with Steve, and funny memories from the evening before. I enjoyed welcoming smiles from friends and customers. Business was good, and I'll be meeting with one of my new consultants later.


A merry heart does do good like medicine!, and so will this evening's rest!

No comments:

Post a Comment