Pages

Monday, May 7, 2012

Post-whirlwind blessings

5:05 p.m. Today's project was to see our youngest son Steve and his girlfriend Kathy off to Long Beach to visit with his older brother Kriss, his wife Marisela, and their new son Clark. Additionally, they planned to visit the Long Beach Aquarium.

The house was in pretty good disarray as soon as Steven arrived. He had a huge pile of laundry and a gym clothes, and regular clothes.  Kathy, coming from her parents' house in Bakersfield, had clothes for visiting and gym clothes. They arrived a little after 8 p.m., so it was really stretching to keep Steve awake almost an hour after his regular bedtime. Then the rush was really on! Steven and Kathy had to go out to get special foods for their very specialized healthy diet, so they went downhill to Ralphs grocery while I put Steve to bed. They then blessed  me with the lovely Mother's Day gift shown here!

Speaking of beds, that took some finagling. Our renter has one spare room, and Kathy was assigned to the other extra bedroom. Steven took to the family room couch and somehow ended up in the living room by morning. Steve was up at 5,, but I managed to turn over and grab another half an hour after he got back into bed. As my morning routine went on with devotions and wrapping up my last lesson of this year's church Bible study, I planned which questions to ask my group tomorrow.

At the top of Steven and Kathy's agenda for today after a 100% healthy breakfast was a strenuous workout. The are both personal trainers, in addition to full-time pre-med university courses, the Fresno Pacific soccer team practices and games for her; and full-time work, high school mentoring ministry and bodybuilding for Steven. Next stop for him, after a few more classes, will be chiropractic school.

I'm sure glad it's them and not me--the J.O.B. days are over for me! Having my own Mary Kay business is challenging, but I set the challenges with God's direction--so much more rewarding. (And flexible for visiting kids)!  Once Steve got on his bus, I had prayer with my friend, and Steven and Kathy went to the gym and then on to Long Beach I could get to work booking appointments for the week.  The whirlwind suddenly lifted from my house and moved west! But at least I had 15 hours to enjoy the kids.

My times are in Your hand, Psalm 31:15a reminded me, so I got to work, mindful of my 5-hour time limit before Steve's bus dropped him off at home by 2 or 2:30. I so enjoy talking and texting with old and new girlfriends to bless and encourage one another and just enjoy each other's company. In between series of calls, completing a challenge from my director Laurie, I watered our slope and the planter near our walkway, and made an arrangement with our lawn people to re-seed a small portion of our front yard. Then I informed the kids that I would like a medium-length garden hose for Mother's Day to replace the old dried and kinked one I deal with in the front yard now. "No jewelry or purses," I texted them. "I win those every month!" So that should make for a low-cost shared gift expense for next Sunday. Guess my blood runs green!! Love it! Remember God's first job assignment to Adam, Genesis 2:15:

Then the LORD God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to tend and keep [cultivate] it.

Enough of that fresh air and sunshine and petting Jada on the patio, and it was back to work, this time on e-notifications for party hostesses for Saturday.  I received a text from my prayer partner that her request from this morning had been answered and was able to text-rejoice with her (and ask her if she had a particular shade of foundation I can borrow in exchange for some eyeshadow samples she needs from me)! A late lunch and more planning calls took up the time until Steve's bus arrived. I got him ready and we left for errands.

At my optometrist's office complex, we got a prime 5-7 minute limit parking spot, so I ran in for my next package of contact lenses, having been blessed with collecting rent money this morning, figuring on $46.  And hallelujah, as I pulled out my $100 bill rent payment, my optician friend told me, "There's no charge! They're trial lenses and they're free!!" Woot Woot! I left the office loudly rejoicing, and the other patients were laughing, too. That money went into the bank, and a 10th of it will be given to the Lord this Sunday. God has been blessing us with wonderful help and savings of our precious resources in the last months and I give Him the glory for being true to His word in Malachi 3:10:

"Bring the tithes into the
  storehouse,
And try me now in this,"
Says the LORD of hosts.
"If I will not open to you the
  windows of heaven
And pour out for you such
  blessing
That there will not be room
  enough to receive it."

My heart is definitely overflowing!!



No comments:

Post a Comment