Pages

Monday, May 28, 2012

Prayers already answered

4:09 p.m. Today's project was to get up as on any other Monday, even if it is the legal holiday Memorial Day. I'd have devotions, spend time with Steve before he headed off on his bus, pray with my prayer partner, and then make phone calls, or head over to Starbucks to meet new customers and confirm appointments. I had called both Care Connexxus and the Special Transportation line, both of whose recordings indicated that they only took off Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Year's Day. Steve was all set to go.

At 8:00, Steve's caregiver took him out to walk a bit and wait for the bus, but it didn't come. Hmmm. So I called the daycare and no one answered. Well, now it made sense. The bus wasn't going to pick up riders with no destination!  A different kind of day was to be in the offing. God had a plan, as He always does. In Isaiah 46:9b-10 our God says of Himself,

For I am God, and there is no
  other;
I am God, and there is none like
  Me,
Declaring the end from the
  beginning,
And from ancient times things
  that are not yet done,
Saying, "My counsel shall stand,
And I will do all My pleasure."

I tend to think of the practical realities, like helping Steve to be constructively and happily busy, which can be a challenge. But God's pleasure for me today was pleasure itself! Even though I thoroughly enjoy my business, it certainly can't be called "vacation." So the two of us swept away spider webs, watered our new grass, and then he sat down to enjoy some television.

The urge came from the Holy Spirit to get out a couple of  Bibles, a Strong's concordance and commentaries and make some background notes for II Samuel, which Bible study I begin teaching on June 7th. Delving into the Word, studying the factual background and spiritual meaning of some of the book's major concepts, and interspersing personal-response questions for my women--now that's sheer fun for me! In the meantime, I'd called our friends Bob and Debbie. Since he had today off as an employee of the State of California's Bureau of Auto Repair, it made a perfect time for a visit. Bob had already planned to stop by to see Steve from time to time, but both of them were coming. (Along with an extra quart of corn chowder from Mimi's restaurant that a waitress had given them unbidden).

 

Honestly, I had awakened feeling sad, anticipating a lonely day, journalling about it to the Lord. Socializing as a couple is difficult enough these days, but if Steve had gone on the bus, I definitely would have been alone, even if gainfully occupied. I probably would have done some Bible study too. But my day would have been like watching our new grass grow.  I did have prayer time, a fellow consultant came by to pick up product; renter Andrew, Steve and I planned the Peruvian dinner he is going to prepare for us on Sunday night. But the Lord knows what each of us needs, and had already answered my prayers for people to socialize with! Jesus said in Matthew 6:8,

Your Father knows the things you have need of before you ask Him.

The effect of having fun plans uplifted us both. Not only did the two of us enjoy the happy anticipation of our friends coming over, but made a game out of scrubbing spots off the family room carpet and generally straightening up. God knows how Steve and I like to be active and busy!

Thank You, Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment