Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

Regretful first

12:25 p.m. Today's project was to go to the National Day of Prayer observance at Harvest Christian Fellowship in progress as I write this. For the second year in a row, I decided against attending the evening event at our church because of our availability in the daytime (and the interactive nature of the evening event, which would be very confusing and impossible for Steve).

 A lot has happened to us in the last year that had a bearing on my decision not to attend. Last year, we parked toward the rear of the Harvest parking lot and walked quite well into the sanctuary, and Steve remembered and greeted a few old friends. He was able to know where we were and what was happening, to talk, and pray along. My thought had been to pick up Steve early from his daycare center, and then drive the short distance up to the church. The long walk through the parking lot, while painfully manageable, might be avoided by scoring a handicapped spot, a major accomplishment at a church whose memberships measures in the multiple thousands. That goal would call for Steve missing the lunch served every day at Care Connexxus, because we'd need to arrive an hour early. Steve has gotten into such a positive routine now at the center, that an early pick-up would cause confusion and possibly resistance...so that idea was not looking productive. We'd probably lose any time I thought to gain by the slowness of check-out procedures, and his very stumbling walking pace. Attending by myself this evening might work, if I can get back from my Redlands meeting on time. Steve's care is already in place for the night.

 As I journalled this morning, I realized that I could join the millions praying on the East Coast praying at the same time. Our nation is in dire conditiuon, with sin rampant and approved of in the media; biblical family structures mocked; and governmental oppression that threatens to shatter our constitutional rights. Christians are painted as villains and enemies instead of guardians of our religious freedoms, especially in the manner in which we raise our children. National Day of Prayer is a blessed remembrance of what God told King Solomon in II Chronicles 7:14: "If my people who are called by My name will humble themselves, and pray and seek My face, and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin and heal their land."

Lord, please heal this broken, fallen-down land!

No comments:

Post a Comment