Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Abundance isn't always evident


1:48 p.m. Today's project was to get out to the garden after a hectic weekend. Steven had been here most of last week, bringing lots of Spirit-led energy and fun with him from Fresno, culminating in a good showing at the Orange County Muscle Classic competition Saturday. Sunday afternoon, it was my turn to take a main dish to Home Fellowship, and thankfully, I had the ingredients to assemble giant ricotta-filled pasta shells with the marinara sauce I'd made Wednesday. But we couldn't even stay to enjoy it, because our oldest son Sean had invited Steve and me to dinner at Market Broiler to share engagement and marriage plans he and Pam are making!! Blessings and good news came in a flurry, but all the excitement, driving and timing challenges left me a bit downish today.

My friend Monica came to the rescue, calling at ten o'clock for our weekly prayer date, changing my frame of mind instantly! We covered one another's families, especially our daughters' upcoming weddings; needs of believers, our pastors, the Body of Christ, and our nation, leaving us both uplifted and full of faith! "Blessed be the LORD," Psalm 68:19 says, "who daily loads us with benefits, the God of our salvation!" This was the verse I posted earlier this morning on Facebook, purely out of obedience, because I really wasn't feeling very benefitted at the time!! May I add with the psalmist, "Selah." (Think it over)
God's truth and the work He is constantly doing behind the scenes are not dependent on our ups and downs. He rewards our wholehearted faith, but is certainly not dependent upon it--He is Almighty God, Creator of the universe. II Timothy 2:13 says, "If we are faithless, He remains faithful; He cannot deny Himself." In Malachi 3:6 (KJV), God Himself says, " I am the LORD, I change not."
When I at last went out to the garden I discovered that God had been invisibly working, literally in the dark! I had felt led over the last few days to poke around under the potato plants that had actually sown themselves from scraps that were in our compost. For many weeks, I had no idea what the plants were until I saw tubers just under the soil. Our family "botanist," future son-in-law Pavel, confirmed my speculations about six weeks ago.
So I poked around, loving the feel of rich soil under my fingernails, and boom! Something firm and shaped like a egg--a small redskin potato, my favorite!! Moving on to the three other randomly situated potato plants, I harvested 3 more, one as big as store-bought. These, by the way, were fairly close to the surface. What's God got in store deeper underground?!
Indeed, what does God have in store deeper down, for all of us , while we putter around on the surface of our lives? Of course it's needful and healthy to take care of daily details, achieve goals, enjoy family and friends, and appreciate this beautiful world in which we live. But the believer has more than an orderly life and the pleasures of this world to look forward to. Jesus told us in John 10:10b, "I have come that they might have life, and have it more abundantly."
Don't settle for a "nice" surface Christian life! Dig into the rich soil of the Scriptures, search for Christ in every verse, absorb His promises, listen to and obey His voice, and live abundantly!!
Today.

No comments:

Post a Comment