Pages

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Focused

4:24 p.m. Today's project is to keep my thoughts focused on the Lord's goodness after a difficult day yesterday. Irritation, anger and discouragement characterized my Monday as I careened from one stressful interaction to the next. Preoccupation led to setting off my car alarm; forgetting I'd set the house alarm caused it to blare full force when I back in from the garage to find the car keys Steve was sitting on. Late last night, I had a fright as I checked my grown daughter's empty room, which looked much more scattered than usual. The curtain on the window of the guest bedroom that opens out to the wood patio cover was opened, with the blinds bent. Had she run away, or been kidnapped? My imagination concocted every wild scenario...

Turned out to be a real comedy of errors! Heidi had rushed out to a friend's birthday party; and the curtain in the guest bedroom was open because she was giving her houseplant some southerly sunlight!

I can't truthfully say it was a bad day, however, because the faithful God I serve had gifted me with a prayer/accountability partner that morning to see me through, and I her. 2 Timothy 2:13 reminds us that "He is faithful; He cannot deny Himself." Shifting circumstances and emotions are of little consequence when we focus on the Lord. He is just too good, good all the time, to leave us let down and disconcerted--Jesus is Truth, and if we know the truth, the truth will set us free! (John 8:32)

Living with my husband's Alzheimers is like experiencing a series of minor car accidents--as I have--each one unexpected, damaging, but with definitely manageable results. The car will never really be the same, but it is driveable; you make your repairs and keep driving, hoping to have some time before the next "surprise." Prayerfully, you can regather your resources and your spiritual footing and learn the lesson as needed.

God's plan for each of His children is never a bad plan. He only does what is best for each one of us! He guides us through the maze of choices in our actions, reactions, and next steps. He teaches us the way to show His lovingkindness and humility in service to another. The Apostle Paul tells us that God outfits us with His armor for the daily spiritual warfare we face (Ephesians 6:10-18). He gives us His Word and His heart, in the holy scriptures--ours for the taking of daily sustenance.

We may be pulled in many directions, but we must remain pointed at only One!

No comments:

Post a Comment