Pages

Sunday, April 11, 2010

Fresh greetings

4:00 p.m. Today's project was to make sure the craft samples and sign-ups for our church's Heart to Home classes got off to a good start. So we arrived before first service ended and set out the samples at the Activities Table; attended second service; helped with sign-ups between second and third services; then left for lunch in the nearby shopping center and finally came back after third service at 1:00 to help out at the display table once again.

It was quite a schedule, but as the Lord has entrusted me with a stewardship over the ministry, I take responsibility for introducing the instructors and the products of their talent to our women. As I Corinthians 4:2 puts it, "it is required of stewards that they be found faithful." May I be found faithful, Lord!!

One thing I have been noticing the last few weeks at church is that all kinds of friends and acquaintances from past home fellowships, Saturday morning and Tuesday evening men's studies, and people Steve doesn't know, recognize or remember, are taking the time to come up to him, say hi, mention that they miss him, or even give him a hug, both men and women. They'll ask how he's doing, and when he can't come up with a ready verbal response, tactfully keep on with a bit of conversation before moving on to their seat, or to other friends. How precious our church is!! They truly love him "in truth" as our pastor's message from 2 John 1:1 words it.

The brothers and sisters at Calvary Moreno Valley love Steve in Jesus!

While I am blessed and proud of our Body for extending such kindness to Steve and to me (because it frees me up for some moments of fellowship with my girlfriends and for taking care of ministry duties), I ponder what they may be thinking. [Methinks I think too much, Lord!] But do greetings such as these, uncommon before this last year, silently say, "I'm praying for you; I'm making sure to have time with you before you won't be able to come to church any more"?

I have noticed that two older gentlemen with Alzheimer's no longer attend, being years more advanced in the disease. My friend Jeralee has mentioned that her father had to go into care; perhaps the other gentleman is now in a facility as well. Steve's own brother Larry, only 57, was placed in a Christian care facility two weeks ago. The progress of this disease is inexorable, robbing strength from victim and caretaker both. As I see Steve's often blank expression at church, lack of understanding of what we need to do, inability to go into the sanctuary and find seats for us when we arrive early and I have to use the ladies' room; and the necessity of helping him find his place in the Bible he tabbed himself, I have to admit that he is going downhill. But I am determined that Steve will attend worship service and men's Bible study for as long as possible--he loves it so! Watching him worship is so inspirational. He remembers every word...that's the kind of selective memory I'd like to have!!

We have no way of knowing how long Steve can continue functioning well in public. Many years more, prayerfully. I do know that God is faithful, whether He chooses to heal him or not. But God does not leave His children alone, ever! His Holy Spirit comforts us, and those brothers and sisters in Christ who have become His loving hands and feet to us have a special crown awaiting them in heaven, I am sure.

I John 3:18 says to believers, "let us not love in word or in tongue, but in deed and truth." God is well pleased with the Body at Calvary Chapel!

1 comment:

  1. I love that Steve can still worship in song. In the book 'The five silent years of Corrie Tin Boom', the author talks about Corrie's inability to speak or communicate for those 5 years. But she could still sing worship to her Lord!! We need to worship so God allows that even when nothing else is 'normal'. Isn't He soooo good?? I am so happy for him that he has you for his wife (:

    ReplyDelete