Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

My sheaf of joy

4:26 p.m. Today's project was to pray for the needs of friends and acquaintances, and their family members, at a time when I myself am struggling with Steve's and my ever-changing roles in our advancing Alzheimer's drama. At a time when I feel frustrated and sad, others are facing the loss of their homes, constant chronic pain or imminent death--and that includes a five year old boy.

The Stage 4 cancer has metastisized from the kidney to the lung of the young boy; one long-time friend "chatted" with me this morning online, at a loss with their home being repossessed; another friend has chronic leukemia, undergoing blood filtering; one is now moved to a rehab facility for further medical treatments; a very late stage cancer victim I have come to know is now having to give up her beloved cat, her treatments are so numerous and debilitating, with regular trips to the emergency room. My friend in pain dreads the question from concerned ones: "How are you feeling?" because nothing ever changes for her...

Each of these tragedies came to my attention this week! What is happening, Lord? Every one of these suffering ones loves and serves You faithfully to the extent of their ability. I do know this, that the Body of Christ is united in prayer for Your healing, peace, comfort and strength for each one who is reeling from either physical or mental pain for themselves or their loved one! We do not doubt one iota that You hear and answer prayer as only You can, in the way that is best for each one of us. "He knows the way that I take," Job 23:10 says, "and when He has tried me, I shall come forth as gold." God does try His children! Some trials are lengthy and grievous, while others are mild; yet others are tragicically sudden. And some of us will be called home to Him unexpectedly. Not one of us will glide through life in this world. We can neither run nor hide--ask Jonah!

Trust, worship, and wait on our Lord--He will always do right! As we unite in prayer, remember that He is the God of miracles. There is no other!

God sees our tears and sorrows with us for the impact of life in this fallen world. Psalm 56:8, New Living Translation, reassures us, "You keep track of all my sorrows. You have collected all my tears in Your bottle. You have recorded each one in Your book."

But God is not an impassive onlooker by any means. Jesus Christ upholds this universe (Colossians 1:17; Hebrews 1:3), and He upholds us! I love this promise from Psalm 126:5-6:

They that sow in tears shall reap in joy. He that goes forth and weeps, bearing precious seed, shall doubtless come again with rejoicing, bringing his sheaves with him.

A harvest of joy awaits those who trust in God!

No comments:

Post a Comment